RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pete

The end of my WHSv1...possibly

Pete

Ok, I've had my WHSv1 since about, eh, 2009.  That's a pretty good stretch of time for the life of this product (I think its an EX485).  Anyway, not too many issues over the years, replaced the system drive, had to replace 1 data drive, and now having power issues.  9 months ago my server died and I bought a replacement drive off of that auction website.  Worked fine for 9 months and now it's dead again.  Push the power button, the fan comes on for a sec, then turns off.  I went back to that website and bought another PS.  When it came in, I installed it and NOTHING.  No lights, no fan, nothing!  So I sent it back and got the run around that they needed to test it and then send me another and it would be like 3 weeks.  I asked for a refund.  Then I ordered another from a different seller and when that arrived, installed it and NOTHING...again.  So, I'm wondering if my WHSv1 is finally dead, dead, dead!  I do have a backup of my data (about 5 months old, but good enough for me), but I really liked my little server.  I currently have Server 2012r2 Essentials running on a box in a "domain" setting and that backs up my computers, but I don't like the way it wants to back up my server every night.  I don't have that kind of backup storage.  My WHSv1 would compact enough to save about 3 backups on a 750GB external.  Now I have a 3TB external and I can't keep 2 backups.  I know I need bigger backup media, but that's a different project.  The topic here is that I still was using my WHSv1 as a small file and computer backup and now it's finally dead!

Drashna Jaelre

Well, I'm sorry to hear about your server dying, as they were nice systems! 

I currently have Server 2012r2 Essentials running on a box in a "domain" setting and that backs up my computers, but I don't like the way it wants to back up my server every night.  I don't have that kind of backup storage.  My WHSv1 would compact enough to save about 3 backups on a 750GB external.  Now I have a 3TB external and I can't keep 2 backups.  I know I need bigger backup media, but that's a different project.  The topic here is that I still was using my WHSv1 as a small file and computer backup and now it's finally dead!

The Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials backup is DIRECTLY based on the WHSv1 backup.  Like the WHSv1 backup, it deduplicates the data from each of the systems, and it is an incremental backup. So it shouldn't take up much space.  In fact, users like pcdoc and others have verified just how space efficient the backup is.

Specifically, Essentials is the continuation of the WHS2011 code, which is significantly updated and improved over WHSv1's code. And this was because the WHS team was merged into the SBS team, and then later into the full server team (at microsoft).  

But if you're not seeing that, then that's ... well, odd. 

jmwills

Is the EX485 capable of handling x64 software?  WHSv1 was x86, right?

Drashna Jaelre

Is the EX485 capable of handling x64 software?  WHSv1 was x86, right?

It was a celeron CPU, so I'm not sure. But if you got the non-celeron CPU or upgraded it, definitely.

Pete

Ok, count me stupid, or just a slight oversight.  The new power supply came with a 4 inch dongle, which I didn't remove. I proceeded to attach all this to the server and NO-GO.  Then after a week or so I revisited my server, took a good look at it and saw that the dongle was extra.  There was already a dongle attached to the motherboard.  So, I detached the supplied dongle from the PS and hooked everything up and VIOLA!  everything works...well, somehow my system drive is dead and I have to rebuild my server, but at least I have power now!!  Thanks guys.

Drashna Jaelre

Well, yeah, that would do it. ;)

And sorry to hear about the system drive. But at least that's relatively easy to recover from.

mrmarkfr

I had my V1 fail, and I was able to recover the data off the drives easily, they show up as regular drives when you put them in an external reader.  At least that way, if your server does die, you haven't lost all your data.