RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P410 blining Cursor problem

mikelkite

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to building a RAID system. I bought a norrco/logi case 24 bay chassis and had fitted it with some old LSI megaraid legacy RAID cards, which worked fine, but limited me.

I bought a p410 w/ 512 cache and batter, I also bought a 24 port SAS expander card.

When I boot up it gives me LSI RAID function, then boots but with the HP p410 it initializes it and then craps out on me, all I get is a blinking cursor.

I have an asus sabertooth 990fx which I just read someone else has and has a similar problem....

£130 motherboard and it wont load the OS of a stand alone (non raid) disk, or go futher than the blinking cursor. 

Annoyingly i also cannot get into the BIOS because it loads before the BIOS it seems..

Does anyone have any advice, I really could do with it before spending more money on things.....

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to building a RAID system. I bought a norrco/logi case 24 bay chassis and had fitted it with some old LSI megaraid legacy RAID cards, which worked fine, but limited me.

I bought a p410 w/ 512 cache and batter, I also bought a 24 port SAS expander card.

When I boot up it gives me LSI RAID function, then boots but with the HP p410 it initializes it and then craps out on me, all I get is a blinking cursor.

I have an asus sabertooth 990fx which I just read someone else has and has a similar problem....

£130 motherboard and it wont load the OS of a stand alone (non raid) disk, or go futher than the blinking cursor. 

Annoyingly i also cannot get into the BIOS because it loads before the BIOS it seems..

HP Smart Array cards are only designed for supported HP Proliant servers. They're not actually intended to be used for anything else according to HP.

The firmware on the cards tries to hook into iLO and the chipset for monitoring/reporting and those firmware hooks can do weird things when not on a Proliant. They're why your card doesn't initialise properly. There is no fixed compatibility list beyond the supported Proliants however so you may find it is fine in a different brand/model motherboard.

My experience with this was with a P400 card which is the previous generation Smart Array in a Proliant that wasn't supported. Old versions of the firmware would work but past a specific version, they'd all just hang during initialisation. I just kept it on the old version but it had some performance issues because of that. I needed to find a different but supported Proliant do do the downgrade.

For your specific problem, you've got 3 options which may or may not work or even be viable.

1. See if downgrading the firmware helps. Be aware that you may introduce horrific bugs as you won't have the bug fixes from later versions of the firmware.

2. If you're not booting from the P410 and your BIOS has the ability to then you should be able to disable the option ROM. Your OS drivers should still be able to run the card but the drive array won't be bootable.

3. Try a different motherboard or machine.

Of course, it may just be that your card is faulty...

Thanks for the quick reply.

At this stage, what are my options?

1 - I'm not booting from the RAID array, I have a single SSD on the SATA 1 port of the motherboard (runs a few VMs) so I have tried to disable PCI-e ROM UEFI/LEGACY and neither has made a difference.

2- Use the SAS expander and a differnet RAID card (LSI megaraid 8708em2 is what I have, but they seem to be legacy and have no support over 2TB discs)

3- Try a different machine... well I cant really, I have nothing spare and would rather not take it all apart and just go back to using the crappy but workable LSI 8708em2's

I can just re-list the p410 and sell it on ebay - no biggie.

What raid controller should I look to get instead?

Will this card work with the expander and my board?

LSI Internal SAS SATA 9211-8i

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LSI-Internal-SAS-SATA-9211-8i-6Gbps-8-Ports-HBA-PCI-E-RAID-Controller-Card-/271573727626?hash=item3f3b0e398a:g:p2cAAOSwQItT6Jyk

Based of the knowledge here :

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1484614

It looks like it should be ok with the expander but doesnt list if it compatible with my motherboard