RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

More Windows 10 Service Withdrawals

schoondoggy

As I would too but would they (the IT department) allow it?

Most IT departments are dealing with this issue by moving to Virtual Desktop, VMware or Citrix.

Poppapete

Most IT departments are dealing with this issue by moving to Virtual Desktop, VMware or Citrix.

I concede that is correct.

JackoUK

NASDAQ:MSFT have caved on this issue I believe, restoring the traditional support timelines.

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks breaking a promise is bad ...

... or maybe some combination of WINTEL found fixes ...

... or just decided to pay up for their own mistakes.

nrf

Once Microsoft has everyone on their boat, they can start exerting subtle or not so subtle pressures. For example, they would prefer small/medium businesses use Enterprise, which of course they did not give free upgrades on to the person on the street. They are showing their colors by reducing the ability to remotely configure certain important policies (GPO) on Pro versions of win10. I consider it a foreboding... 

now that we gave you the free upgrade to win10 pro would you please sign up for our enterprise product, please, please please? we make money on it versus the free thing we are going to drop features from....

ShadowPeo

As I would too but would they (the IT department) allow it?

Where I am it depends on which particular dept, we have a mix of Win7 and above, and the Win7 stuff is going to be axed within the next six weeks for Win10 deployments. With that happening all support for Win7 from the ITD will be nixed. One site where we are allowing people to bring their own devices is Windows 10 only, no exceptions. Another one we are allowing Windows 7 and above, but with the axing of Windows 7 from the fleet that will change to 8.1 or 10 only (OSX is 10.9 or above only). Mind you we also have other requirements we put in place for these programs, for example, next year, any new device brought in for authorisation, if the device does not have dual band 802.11AC wireless (not seen a single band yet, but for completeness sake the specifications require dual band) it will not be accepted.

People need to realise that most of us making these decisions have to deal with in general multiple hundreds or even thousands of devices. Just because one person want to do something different it may not be an econmic vability, the needs of the many massivly outweigh the wants of a few.