RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boot off PCIe SSD?

eljay

Well, I bought this card and this SSD

I install this combo into my ML310e Gen 8 v2 server. I would like to install my Fedora 21 Server OS onto this PCIe SSD M.2 card and boot from it keeping the HDDs in the bays for data.

So far, I have set the SATA Controller to AHCI mode and tried to run the install, but the Fedora installation only give me the choice of the HDDs in the bays. :(

How can I test that the server is recognizing the PCIe SSD drive and how can I set it to be the bootable controller?

Thank you.

Your SSD isn't PCIe. The M.2 standard has PCIe + SATA + USB together on the same connector.

You have to plug it into the top slot on your card and connect the SATA socket to something. When the Gen8 Microserver SATA controller is in AHCI mode, you can't boot from the SATA ODD port on the motherboard.

Your SSD isn't PCIe. The M.2 standard has PCIe + SATA + USB together on the same connector.

You have to plug it into the top slot on your card and connect the SATA socket to something. When the Gen8 Microserver SATA controller is in AHCI mode, you can't boot from the SATA ODD port on the motherboard.

My apologies, I linked the wrong card.

This is the one I have: Addonics ADM2PX4 M2 Pcie Ssd Pcie 3.0 4-lane Adapter.

http://www.addonics.com/products/adm2px4.php

http://www.amazon.com/Addonics-ADM2PX4-Pcie-4-lane-Adapter/dp/B00KDM75XK

How can I make it bootable and install an OS on it?

My apologies, I linked the wrong card.

This is the one I have: Addonics ADM2PX4 M2 Pcie Ssd Pcie 3.0 4-lane Adapter.

http://www.addonics.com/products/adm2px4.php

http://www.amazon.com/Addonics-ADM2PX4-Pcie-4-lane-Adapter/dp/B00KDM75XK

How can I make it bootable and install an OS on it?

That is the wrong card for your SSD as it is only for PCIe SSDs. Your SSD is a SATA based one and needs a connection to a SATA port. Putting it into an adapter for M.2 PCIe cards won't work. The original adapter you linked has a slot for M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe. Edited by GotNoTime

That is the wrong card for your SSD as it is only for PCIe SSDs. Your SSD is a SATA based one and needs a connection to a SATA port. Putting it into an adapter for M.2 PCIe cards won't work. The original adapter you linked has a slot for M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe.

Ah, now I see my mistake.

PCIe SSDs are expensive. The best price for a 128GB I can find is approx CAD$200. That's much more then what I was hoping to spend on this solution. Even then, I'm not guaranteed this server can boot off the PCIe, correct?

What would be my best cheapest option at this point?

I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel and stick a small HDD into the first bay for the OS and be done.

I really wanted to keep the bays for data only as I'm starting with 2x2TB WD Red HDDs and I was going to put a 1TB HDD into a 3rd bay for home NVR purposes leaving me one bay for expansion. Now, I will have no room to expand without replacing drives. :(

Would SSHD drive work well in the ML310e? If I could find one with 32GB nand and 2TB platter that would work for me with OS on the SSD portion and I would not lose the bay completely to OS drive.

Even then, I'm not guaranteed this server can boot off the PCIe, correct?

If it is a NVMe SSD then no. It won't boot as the BIOS doesn't support NVMe. If it appears as a SATA controller or has a boot ROM then it should boot but still no 100% guarantee of this.

Would SSHD drive work well in the ML310e? If I could find one with 32GB nand and 2TB platter that would work for me with OS on the SSD portion and I would not lose the bay completely to OS drive.

Hybrid drives don't work like that. The flash portion is used to cache frequently accessed data on the HD part. You don't separately address it as it is all handled by the drive electronics.

What OS are you intending to use? If it is Linux or ESXi then you can install to a SD card.

Ah OK. Yes, I read more on the hybrid drives, now I understand how they work. Thank you.

I think I will just take the (hopefully) easy route and get a normal 2.5in SSD, stick it into a 3.5in adapter and put it into the first bay. When the time comes and I really need the bay I'll get one of those StarTech PCIe SATA controllers and connect this OS drive to that.

I will be installing Amahi OS - it's based on Fedora 21.