RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Tuner + DVR recommendations

diegolrz

So I finally cut the cord! Now I have to find a way to watch OTA TV and record.

I have an oldish Dell Inspiron 3847 with an i3-4150 laying around that I think might work for this.

However I am aware that MCE is no longer available in windows 10. Is there a good 3rd party replacement or is the recommendation to run Windows 7?

Regarding tuners, it looks like the Hdhomerun is the norm nowadays. But is there a cheaper alternative? I dont mind buying used / older generation off of ebay.

Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• diegolrz

• nrf

• RobbieH

Top Posters In This Topic

For OTA you have lots of choices for both the hardware and software.While I am partial to HDHR, I had some good reception with a dual PCI express tuner from avermedia, there are also great USB tuners as well. I've been off the market on software for a while as I am sticking to WMC7 and WMC8.1 to handle my cable providers stupid use of DRM.

The world is your oyster for OTA! lots of good free software to try too! 

I found a PCIE tuner from Hauppauge model 1250 on ebay for $15, is this something that might work or am I wasting time and money on that one?

For OTA you have lots of choices for both the hardware and software.While I am partial to HDHR, I had some good reception with a dual PCI express tuner from avermedia, there are also great USB tuners as well. I've been off the market on software for a while as I am sticking to WMC7 and WMC8.1 to handle my cable providers stupid use of DRM.

The world is your oyster for OTA! lots of good free software to try too! 

Would you mind point me to some of the software that works with Win10? I have read that one of the wrinkles is with the tv listings, is there software that has solved this?

Thanks!

So I finally cut the cord! Now I have to find a way to watch OTA TV and record.

I have an oldish Dell Inspiron 3847 with an i3-4150 laying around that I think might work for this.

However I am aware that MCE is no longer available in windows 10. Is there a good 3rd party replacement or is the recommendation to run Windows 7?

Regarding tuners, it looks like the Hdhomerun is the norm nowadays. But is there a cheaper alternative? I dont mind buying used / older generation off of ebay.

Thanks!

HDHomerun would be a solid purchase if your needing a network tuner. HSS Dave also was reviewing 2 devices but I cant seem to find the shows where he talked about them. One was called Tablo, With this device there is no output to connect to a TV, You install an app on your iOS/Android/Roku/Amazon Fire TV and if your a Plex user there is even a Tablo channel for that.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-plus-plex-equals-awesome/

The device is offered in either 2 or 4 tuner and even allows you to stream live TV when not home, That's a nice bonus however to get guide data you need a subscription. Looks like you can get a onetime lifetime subscription for 149.99, With all the money you saved from cord cutting this is a no brainier. Subscription Rates https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/tablo-guide-data-subscription/ This maybe a good alternative to HDHomerun. https://www.tablotv.com/

How many TV's do you need to support? What type of client devices do you have at each TV such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, HTPC?? With both of these network tuners/DVR you will need some kind of device at each TV. Now if your only needing support for 1 TV you can also look at 'Channel Master DVR+', This device has an HDMI out to connect to your TV and is only a 2 tuner.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

Edited by itGeeks

thanks for contributing that to the thread. the odd thing about having pay for a subscription to guide data is that the guide data is normally broadcast over the digital tv signal 'for free'. but I guess the vendor like so many others prefers to extract money from customers over the long term.

thanks for contributing that to the thread. the odd thing about having pay for a subscription to guide data is that the guide data is normally broadcast over the digital tv signal 'for free'. but I guess the vendor like so many others prefers to extract money from customers over the long term.

Yup and I don't mind paying a company if they have somthing good to offer. Company's need funds to stay in business. Tablo is charging for guide data YES but its more then the standard guide data you get from over the air. Here is what Tablo says about it-

"Your Tablo Guide Data Subscription gives you the ability to watch Tablo OTA DVR content remotely using the Tablo Connect feature. It also gives you access to live TV guide data for your area 14 days in advance as well as smart recording features including the ability to set recordings by series, season, and new episodes only"

It seems to me that the small fee there asking is well worth the cost of admission :)

Yes for most people. FYI when I was using mythtv they had an actual feature whereby you can scan the guide data in the background which allows all myth scheduled recording features to work without paying a listings provider. When I was using myth (on cable not OTA) I did not begrudge SchedulesDirect the small subscription fee which I considered very reasonable. The level of support for resolving issues and the general accuracy of the data made it winning situation.

In general I have serious allergies to subscription based services but I may overcome that should HDHR ever handle my DRM issue for me. Then it will be worth it.

There is a discussion on latest Entertainment 2.0 (# 354 @ about 13 minutes) explaining that ROVI have a patent on the Grid Guide and others who use it may be paying a license fee.  This may explain the fee!

So an update here, I ended up buying a hauppauge 2255 and a mohu 50miles. The mohu didn't pick any signals at all (I live in an apartment in uptown Dallas) I think this was because there are ton of buildings around me. So I went to bestbuy and bought a Clearstream 2V and picked all channels with great signal. Problem fixed.

As a PVR I have tried NextPVR which I didn't like, it is too laggy (I am only using one 7200rpm HD, should I add another disk for the temp time shifting recordings or the OS?). I am trying mediaportal at the moment and it feels better but I don't like the interface that much.

One of the issues that I am having is that the 2255 came with the MCE remote and I can't figure out how to make it work with mediaportal. Any tips to get this working?

I saw a post somewhere about installing MCE on win 10. Has anyone tried that yet?

Thanks!

So an update here, I ended up buying a hauppauge 2255 and a mohu 50miles. The mohu didn't pick any signals at all (I live in an apartment in uptown Dallas) I think this was because there are ton of buildings around me. So I went to bestbuy and bought a Clearstream 2V and picked all channels with great signal. Problem fixed.

As a PVR I have tried NextPVR which I didn't like, it is too laggy (I am only using one 7200rpm HD, should I add another disk for the temp time shifting recordings or the OS?). I am trying mediaportal at the moment and it feels better but I don't like the interface that much.

One of the issues that I am having is that the 2255 came with the MCE remote and I can't figure out how to make it work with mediaportal. Any tips to get this working?

I saw a post somewhere about installing MCE on win 10. Has anyone tried that yet?

Thanks!

Thanks for the update. That i3 should be plenty fast enough for TV viewing. For the best performance little to no lag would be to use an SSD such as my favorite Samsung 840's or 850's for the OS drive and have a spinner hard drive for the data, This will give you a nice boost in performance such as channel changing or scrolling threw your recorded TV shows. You can use a 5400 or 5900 RPM drive for this, It does not need to be 7200. Something like a WD Red or Green drive will work just fine and it will also keep the heat and noise down in the box. As for the software have you ever tried Emby formally Media Browser https://emby.media/ 

Or Plex http://plex.tv ? Emby nativly supports live & recorded TV but Plex does not however there is an unsupported way of doing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1HXkJTbzk

I favor Plex but I don't use it for TV services.