RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running Onboard Raid & HP P410

tdkmatt

Hi All

i am currently running a raid0 on the on board raid controller in my MS Gen8, and an SSD on the ODD port on my mobo which is picked up on the raid controller for some reason... which is set up as a Raid0 single disk.. i have come into the ownership of a HP P410 Raid Controller, with 512MB cache and battery backup

My question is can the microserver use the onboard and a secondary raid controller for the 4 disk array? the SSD will stay as a raid0 on the onboard and i would like to run a raid5 on the new raid card has anyone tried this? Also would i need extra cooling over the HP 410 card?

Yes, you just need to move the cable from the motherboard to the P410. The P410 is not supported by iLo in the MS Gen8 so the fan may run faster. The P410 also only runs at 3Gb/s for SATA drives. The HP SSA software will configure both controllers. Be sure to run the HP SPP to update all of the BIOS and firmware.

• Like 1

Yes, you just need to move the cable from the motherboard to the P410. The P410 is not supported by iLo in the MS Gen8 so the fan may run faster. The P410 also only runs at 3Gb/s for SATA drives. The HP SSA software will configure both controllers. Be sure to run the HP SPP to update all of the BIOS and firmware.

Thank you for the reply!, Does it really matter that ILO does not support it? Do i also need to install a fan to cool the heat sink on the HBA card or will it be okay?

Thank you for the reply!, Does it really matter that ILO does not support it? Do i also need to install a fan to cool the heat sink on the HBA card or will it be okay?

It is a good idea to put a fan or blower on it. The lack of iLo support does not effect the RAID functions of the P410, just the monitoring. You can still get temp readings from the SSA software.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to ask a couple of question related to this topic.

I want to purchase a Gen 8 Microserver for my home network but I'm concerned about B120i performance under ESXi, the hypervisor that I would like to use to build the infrastructure. I don't want to mess with older drivers or with RAID cards that costs more than the server itself. So I was considering the combo Microserver + Cheap RAID card of an older generation (like the P410 or P212). After some research, the majority of which have led me to this forum, i learned a couple of things about RAID vs AHCI mode, iLO compatibility, temperature and fan noise, performance, etc but I still have sono questions:

- If I use the internal B120i RAID card to boot from SSD (RAID 0 mode with single disk) using the ODD sata port and then I use P410/P212 for another array of disks in the front panel, will the system read the correct temperature from B120i and remain quiet or not? (this question is not related to the use of ESXi ad a virtualization host)

- Same question but instead if I boot ESXi from the internal SD card and use an additional RAID card (P410/P212) to store the VMs are the fans going to spin like crazy making the system noisy?

- To configure a PCi-e RAID card not supported by the Microserver iLO you have to use the HP ACU utility (booting from an ISO), is this correct?

- Has anybody tried this same configuration that I want to implement under ESXi? Will the system correctly see the datastore on the additional RAID card (using the HP custom ESXi ISO with drivers to install the system of course)?

- If someone is using P410 or P212 how are them overall performing?

- Temperature-wise and consumption-wise how is the system running with an additional RAID card? Are you happy with the system or you had to do some modification to prevent overheat? (i'm planning to go with celeron/pentium version in the beginning)

Thanks in advance for the response and thanks for the overall great quality of information that I found in this forum and in the blog entries.

Sorry if I made grammar mistakes but english it's not mi native language.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to ask a couple of question related to this topic.

I want to purchase a Gen 8 Microserver for my home network but I'm concerned about B120i performance under ESXi, the hypervisor that I would like to use to build the infrastructure. I don't want to mess with older drivers or with RAID cards that costs more than the server itself. So I was considering the combo Microserver + Cheap RAID card of an older generation (like the P410 or P212). After some research, the majority of which have led me to this forum, i learned a couple of things about RAID vs AHCI mode, iLO compatibility, temperature and fan noise, performance, etc but I still have sono questions:

- If I use the internal B120i RAID card to boot from SSD (RAID 0 mode with single disk) using the ODD sata port and then I use P410/P212 for another array of disks in the front panel, will the system read the correct temperature from B120i and remain quiet or not? (this question is not related to the use of ESXi ad a virtualization host)

- Same question but instead if I boot ESXi from the internal SD card and use an additional RAID card (P410/P212) to store the VMs are the fans going to spin like crazy making the system noisy?

- To configure a PCi-e RAID card not supported by the Microserver iLO you have to use the HP ACU utility (booting from an ISO), is this correct?

- Has anybody tried this same configuration that I want to implement under ESXi? Will the system correctly see the datastore on the additional RAID card (using the HP custom ESXi ISO with drivers to install the system of course)?

- If someone is using P410 or P212 how are them overall performing?

- Temperature-wise and consumption-wise how is the system running with an additional RAID card? Are you happy with the system or you had to do some modification to prevent overheat? (i'm planning to go with celeron/pentium version in the beginning)

Thanks in advance for the response and thanks for the overall great quality of information that I found in this forum and in the blog entries.

Sorry if I made grammar mistakes but english it's not mi native language.

Hey Mate

- If I use the internal B120i RAID card to boot from SSD (RAID 0 mode with single disk) using the ODD sata port and then I use P410/P212 for another array of disks in the front panel, will the system read the correct temperature from B120i and remain quiet or not? (this question is not related to the use of ESXi ad a virtualization host) - im not too sure, B210i does not report any smart or temps for me in server 2012 R2 or in the utility itself - same with the P410

- Same question but instead if I boot ESXi from the internal SD card and use an additional RAID card (P410/P212) to store the VMs are the fans going to spin like crazy making the system noisy? - i believe so so it wont see any drives it will go into safe mode (not 100 %)

- To configure a PCi-e RAID card not supported by the Microserver iLO you have to use the HP ACU utility (booting from an ISO), is this correct? - i believe so -  my HP P410 is not supported by the ILO i just booted into the hp utility on boot up, id assume the same with LSI or another brand.

- If someone is using P410 or P212 how are them overall performing? - i have them setup in a raid 5 (3tb wd reds X4) the only downside all drives run at 3GBP/S and not 6GBP/S  but i dont think you would notice the difference being in raid

- Temperature-wise and consumption-wise how is the system running with an additional RAID card? Are you happy with the system or you had to do some modification to prevent overheat? (i'm planning to go with celeron/pentium version in the beginning) - i have had to add X2 40MM fans to keep the chip cool on the raid card but i am unable to see the actual temp since its not supported by the ilo and im unsure how to see the temp any other way. - see my post here http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10586-hp-p410-install-finished/

B210i does not report any smart or temps for me in server 2012 R2 or in the utility itself - same with the P410

iLO monitors it. The normal method for retrieving SMART data which also includes the temperature sensor doesn't work for HP RAID controllers. They've got their own proprietory method for retrieving those stats which the utility needs to support.

- Same question but instead if I boot ESXi from the internal SD card and use an additional RAID card (P410/P212) to store the VMs are the fans going to spin like crazy making the system noisy? - i believe so so it wont see any drives it will go into safe mode (not 100 %)

The high speed fan issue was for AHCI and it was fixed well over a year ago. The threads talking about it are old.

All of the iLO drivers must be installed into the OS for the monitoring to work properly. This includes the Agentless Management Services.

Edited by GotNoTime