RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Essentials and offsite replication?

JerD

I am in the process of replacing a WHSv1 with a Server 2012 Essentials R2 box. I also want to add a second server to have a copies of my files in a separate location. Right now that second server would be across the street on the same network but I would like to be able to move it to a separate network at a later date.

I have one 2012eR2 server set up and my computers added without joining the domain. I have 2012eR2 installed on the second box but have not set it up. The obvious issue I see is that I can only have one Essentials server on the domain. I thought about setting the second server up on a separate domain and using something like SyncToy to keep them synchronized. Not sure what pitfalls I am overlooking if I go this route or how it would work with permissions and user folders.

A real life example of what I want in the long run is basically to be able to have a server at home and a second at a camp for instance. When I am home I want to be able to add files to my server and have them mirrored safely to the camp server. When I am at camp I want to be able to play my music/movies off the camp server without having to stream them over the internet and I want anything I add to the camp server to be waiting for me on the home server when I get back home.

I am using the trial of 2012eR2 and can't justify the price of the standard version. Any feedback, warnings or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edited by JerD

It would be worth running the 180 day trial and joining it to the domain.  Replication could be done very easily with PowerShell.

How are you going to get connectivity to the other side of the street?  Technically, everything will be "over the internet" either through the use of a VPN or something like Plex

Downloading it now and will read up on replicating with it. What are the advantages of going this route over 2012eR2 on two separate domains with SyncToy other than that I'm not sure that will even work? Is anyone syncing two Essentials servers?

The other side of the street is on the same Wi-Fi network.

You will need to establish a trust between the two domains if you use another Essentials box. Two of everything.

Couple questions about going the Standard route. Will I need to buy CALs for the Standard server or does the Essentials server have me covered (seen conflicting statements on this)? If I do need to buy CALs should I just set both servers up Standard with Essentials Experience as Amazon has them about the same price?

Read a bit last night, hopefully about the correct thing, are you suggesting to set the second server up at a member server and use DSFR? Does this bring my users and settings to the second server?

Going to play around with it a bit this morning and see what I can figure out but it would be nice to know the correct way to do it as well.

Thanks again.

If you use a standard version of Server and join it to the Domain, the Essential CAL's should have you covered.  Hadn't thought about using DFS but hat's a good idea.  If you join the regular server to the Essentials Domain, you will only have to deal with one set of User accounts.

You still need to be thinking about the VPN connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some information I found on Microsoft TechNet.

Basically both servers have to be in the same domain, same forest.  After "preseeding" the files/folders you want to duplicate, you can move the servers where you want as long as you can reach them remotely.  I didn't read all the steps for a "step by step" guide, but I found a good starting point in the links below.  Good Luck!

DFS Replication FAQ:  https://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc773238.aspx

DFS Replication : Preseeding file copies.  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn495052.aspx

Pete

This might be of help.....

I have a server 2012 r2 essentials setup at home and wanted a full replication of files at my workplace incase anything happened to my data. The cheapest option I went for was the simplest also and works very well.

I had a spare machine. Core2duo with 3gb ram and windows 7 and put in a 2tb hd. Enough for the important stuff to get backed up.

Added the machine to the domain using the connector tool and used offline files and the shared files I want replication of on it. Let it fully sync and took it to work.

The anywhere access works a treat.

I just rdp to the machine from my work domain or browse via explorer. Drag and drop files ready for when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Also sstp vpn and dfs works which 1 of my customer uses.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk