RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rhinoevans

WHS 2011 or Windows 10

rhinoevans

I have been running WHS V1 for about 5 years now as, more or less a media server.  Time to leave WHS V1behind.  I purchased WHS 2011 a few years back and never installed.  Which is (WHS 2011 or just Windows 10) for a HTPC media server for movies, pictures, and TIVO files?  These files are normally accessed with iPad and Air Video.  Thanks for any ideas.

Rhino

Edited by rhinoevans

Drashna Jaelre

Well, it depends on what you want.

WHS2011 is a decent platform, and StableBit DrivePool is a very good Drive Extender replacement (it works very much like Drive Extender). 

However, Windows 10 works good for this, as well. 

We Got Served has a good series of eBooks that detail how to set up things for either WHS or Window 10. So you can take a look at that. 

The main difference here is support time, and client backups.

awraynor

I would look towards Win10. I never found 2011 to be reliable. Totally agree with DrivePool for pooling drives. Add Veeam or Acronis for backups and you

would probably be better off. You know Win10 will be supported for a while yet. 

jmwills

WHS2011 with Veeam Free Backup for the clients is a total win.

Joe_Miner

WHS2011 with Veeam Free Backup for the clients is a total win.

I'd lean towards WHS2011, especially since you already have it available.  Since it's based on 2008R2 you'll get security updates for quite some time.

kpataska

Windows 10 does NOT provide de-duplication services (so, you're not storing individual PC SNAPSHOTS, just the original backup AND all changes since).

WHS 2011 for ease of install AND ease of modification!

nrf

I "vote" for whs2011 for pure speed of bare metal restore! and you paid for it already :)