RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PLEX On a Win Home Server 2011

DaMenace

Greetings from DaMenace,

Here I go delving into something totally unknown to me. I have an HP Proliant ML110-G6 server with 16gb of ECC Ram and a Zeon processor. It has two SSD drives and three WD Red 3tb drives installed. I have Server 2011 installed on one SSD and so far have not provisioned any of the other drives. My question and concern is weather or not I can install PLEX on this server using the second SSD and the three WD Red drives for media storage. Does anyone have any input to this adventure?

I will be looking forward to some input and ideas from the group.

Thanks in advance to all.

Dennis P. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awraynor

• itGeeks

• DaMenace

• RobbieH

Greetings from DaMenace,

Here I go delving into something totally unknown to me. I have an HP Proliant ML110-G6 server with 16gb of ECC Ram and a Zeon processor. It has two SSD drives and three WD Red 3tb drives installed. I have Server 2011 installed on one SSD and so far have not provisioned any of the other drives. My question and concern is weather or not I can install PLEX on this server using the second SSD and the three WD Red drives for media storage. Does anyone have any input to this adventure?

I will be looking forward to some input and ideas from the group.

Thanks in advance to all.

Dennis P. 

Y are you only using one of two SSD's for the OS? You should be running the OS in a RAID 1 then for the three WD Reds you should have in a RAID 5 unless there is something here i an not understanding.

Edited by itGeeks

What size are the SSD's.  Best to install plex on the drive with the OS (If large enough) and store all your media on the spinning drives. Thousands do it and it works fine.

What size are the SSD's.  Best to install plex on the drive with the OS (If large enough) and store all your media on the spinning drives. Thousands do it and it works fine.

Agreed and I will also add its best to move the Plex database outside of the user account. Create a folder called Plex on the root of the OS drive, example C:\Plex

Then change the path in the Plex Server. Best to have this folder on an SSD with the OS.

Thanks guys. Just to clarify....One SSD has Windows Home Server 2011 installed and running. The second SSD is a Samsung 250gb that I would like to install PLEX Server on. I would then have the three WD Red 4gb drives set as JBOD to hold media files. I have a Seagate NAS that I will use for full backup of the server. This all runs on a full Cisco network at GB speed. I also have a 100mb internet connection with WOW. As of yet I have not set any rols on the Windows Server. I am waiting to see your ideas and experiences.

Dennis "DaMenace"

Thanks guys. Just to clarify....One SSD has Windows Home Server 2011 installed and running. The second SSD is a Samsung 250gb that I would like to install PLEX Server on. I would then have the three WD Red 4gb drives set as JBOD to hold media files. I have a Seagate NAS that I will use for full backup of the server. This all runs on a full Cisco network at GB speed. I also have a 100mb internet connection with WOW. As of yet I have not set any rols on the Windows Server. I am waiting to see your ideas and experiences.

Dennis "DaMenace"

Thanks for the clarification. Follow our recommendations above.

Well after many hours of frustration and failure I have discovered that Windows Home Server 2011 will not work for PLEX. This is most likely due to hardware issues on the HP Proliant ML110 G6 server. My decision is to just make this a full server it was designed to be and put PLEX on a barebones installation of Windows 10.

Well after many hours of frustration and failure I have discovered that Windows Home Server 2011 will not work for PLEX. This is most likely due to hardware issues on the HP Proliant ML110 G6 server. My decision is to just make this a full server it was designed to be and put PLEX on a barebones installation of Windows 10.

Plex runs just fine on WHS 2011, I ran this configuration for a while before moving to WSE 2012 and Plex even works on that. What kind of problems are you having?