RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CPU Upgrade From G1610 to i3-3240

tdkmatt

Hi All

i have a HP Microserver Gen8 with 8GB of memory with the standard Intel GT1610 and the processor sits at 80 odd % doing client backups, i would like to install an i3-3240 but on the intel site it states the TDP is 55W, has anyone done this upgrade with the standard passive cooler? - i do not want to spend $300+ on the 17odd W Xeon and i do not need VT-D this is just for backups and some monitoring tools

I had the 3220T in mine and it was fine, now running a Xeon 1260L and even though thats above the rated 35w for the heatsink it again, works fine.

IF you can find it, the newer SKU Gen8's have a differnt heatsink that is rated higher than the original one, I've not been able to track one down as of yet though as I'd like ot put one in mine because I can...

• Like 1

I had the 3220T in mine and it was fine, now running a Xeon 1260L and even though thats above the rated 35w for the heatsink it again, works fine.

IF you can find it, the newer SKU Gen8's have a differnt heatsink that is rated higher than the original one, I've not been able to track one down as of yet though as I'd like ot put one in mine because I can...

Great thank you! ill see how i go when it arrives, i might put a small fan on the current heatsink to help move the air

An extra fan is the route a lot of guys here have gone with varying results depening on the type of fan and the mounting, plenty of threads to read through..

Would you suggest one fan would be enough on the passive cooler? i dont want to add a push pull and start cutting into the factory harness as i made my own that supports 3 (2 are on my raid card) 

The only extra fan I run in mine is on the P222, I was going to put one on the CPU heatsink but didnt bother in the end so I wouldnt pass comment, any airflow is better than none though..

• Like 1