RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jennous0301

windows 10 boot error 0xo000021a

jennous0301

Hi All, getting the following error on my desktop after the first cumulative update for 1511 on  windows 10 pro 64bit, happens on boot up and unable to get into the os to login.

error code: 0xo000021a

any help would be appreciated! 

jennous0301

Hi All, getting the following error on my desktop after the first cumulative update for 1511 on  windows 10 pro 64bit, happens on boot up and unable to get into the os to login.

any help would be appreciated! 

update

Getting the following error code after installing the first cumulative update for 1511 on windows 10 pro 64bit, happens on boot up and unable to get into the os, just loads the recovery software.

update 1

computer Spec's

• Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64bit (build 10240)
  • intel i5 4960k
  • 16Gb (CML16GX3M2A1600C10)
  • asus maximus vii ranger
  • boot drive: san disk (240Gb)

n.b - this is a clean install of windows 10, that has been stable for over 4 months.

update 2

Solutions attempted

• sfc /scannow
  • mbr repair

itGeeks

update

Getting the following error code after installing the first cumulative update for 1511 on windows 10 pro 64bit, happens on boot up and unable to get into the os, just loads the recovery software.

update 1

computer Spec's

• Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64bit (build 10240)
  • intel i5 4960k
  • 16Gb (CML16GX3M2A1600C10)
  • asus maximus vii ranger
  • boot drive: san disk (240Gb)

n.b - this is a clean install of windows 10, that has been stable for over 4 months.

update 2

Solutions attempted

• sfc /scannow
  • mbr repair

sure does sounds like a driver problem to me. Video driver perhaps? Just wondering is the firmware up to date on your SSD? Do you have a backup of all your files on this computer? If not I would pull the drive update the firmware and make a backup of your files then I would download a fresh Windows 10 Image and burn it to a USB or DVD then boot up from the image and instead of installing Windows try to do a repair and see what happens if that fails then I am afraid you have no other choice but to do a wipe & reload. One other thing you could try is if the bios has 'Secure Boot' you can try and disable that and see if Windows boots but don't forget to set it back. Please let us know how it goes.

Edited by itGeeks

jennous0301

did do a graphics card update, about a week ago (which might have had a pending restart)

itGeeks

did do a graphics card update, about a week ago (which might have had a pending restart)

That's smart bet and y I say your only options now are make sure you have a good backup of your files, If you don't have a backup pull the drive install it on a working computer and copy your personal data of to another drive and if possible to do a SSD firmware update if needed then install it back in your old system and try and boot it from a new Windows 10 image and select repair if that dont work then your only other option is a wipe & reload because you don't have a good restore point. FYI I have found for some reason when you install Windows 10 more times then not 'restore point' is disabled by default so after you get things working check this and make sure its active and a good 'restore point' is created. I have to believe this is a bug with Windows 10.

jennous0301

That's smart bet and y I say your only options now are make sure you have a good backup of your files, If you don't have a backup pull the drive install it on a working computer and copy your personal data of to another drive and if possible to do a SSD firmware update if needed then install it back in your old system and try and boot it from a new Windows 10 image and select repair if that dont work then your only other option is a wipe & reload because you don't have a good restore point. FYI I have found for some reason when you install Windows 10 more times then not 'restore point' is disabled by default so after you get things working check this and make sure its active and a good 'restore point' is created. I have to believe this is a bug with Windows 10.

have decided to go down, the reset method, lost my programs but the data is intact. will prob migrate to a Samsung ssd as they are more reliable. Thanks for your help! 

itGeeks

have decided to go down, the reset method, lost my programs but the data is intact. will prob migrate to a Samsung ssd as they are more reliable. Thanks for your help! 

Glad you got it sorted out. I am a bit confused though, Did you find that the SSD was the cause of this problem? By the sound of how you fixed it I would not think so but then you say something about replacing your SSD with a Samsung SSD. I am a big fan of Samsung SSD's I use the 840 & 850 Pro's in my systems and also have a few Evo's out there and they are all rock solid. The Samsung Magician is a great piece of software as well.

I still feel strongly that your problem had something to do with your video driver because after I said that you admitted there was a video driver update and there may of been a pending reboot. Also please don't forget to check your restore points now and make sure its on and a good restore point created. Do you use anything for 'bear metal backups'? If not I highly recommend you take a look at 'Veeam Endpoint backup FREE' https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

I been using Veeam ever since I found out about it and it works great and as a bonus its free and free for life according to Veeam.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1