RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Update on Wuala Services

jcollison

I just got an email from Wuala and since I have talked about them as much as I have, thought I would share some of the changes with you. I noticed the change in the interface the other day as well as the addition of Sync.

Note: I am using Wuala today as part of my FREE cloud based backup plan. It works well for me and is easy to use. They currently provide me with 70GB (and growing) of storage in the cloud that I have earned by giving them space on my PC to store other users data.

Here is the email:

Sync Is Here

With our newest feature, you can sync files online and across multiple computers. Choose the folders on your notebook and home computer, and link them to your Wuala Sync folder. Edits on your home computer will immediately be synced to your notebook, while anything added to your online Wuala Sync folder will instantly appear on all your associated systems. Try it out for yourself: Start Wuala and click on the 'Sync' tab.

New Pro Packages

Our new pro packages (10 GB, 25 GB, 50 GB, 100 GB, more upon request) include a variety of features - automatic backup, sync, and file versioning - covering all your online storage needs. Schedule your backup and never worry about losing your data, or keep your files up to date by syncing them across multiple computers. Buy additional storage and become a Pro user.

Fresh and Shiny

Over summer we have undergone a little makeover. Our new look gives a neater overview of all your folders, backups, sync, friends and groups. Each folder now has a specific icon showing you the folder type and its sharing status, making it easier for you to identify your backup, sync or shared folders. This is only the first set of updates regarding our new look and feel. During the next few weeks and months, we will be rolling out further enhancements, just wait and see

I really like Dropbox, but the monthly fee really adds up. How do you believe this

compares with it's abilities to sync across multiple machines? It's pricing

scheme is certainly much more palatable.

I have not tried the sync tools yet. I will in the next couple of weeks if you want to wait and see.

So say you have two PCs that you were syncing that you left on all the time. If you gave Wuala permission to use 100GB of space on each PC, you could earn almost 200GB of cloud back up for free. Not a bad deal at all, if you don't mind sharing.

Do they set a limit for the amount of time a shared machine must run? The desktops in my home office are

only on when I am in there, which may or may not be daily.

Right from their FAQ - Your computer has to be online for at least 17% of the time (4 hours per day). Of course the more time it is on, the quicker your storage grows.

BTW...lots of good info in the FAQ

Jim --- thanks for this info. I've been running my cloud storage setup as "Wuala Only" now since February and just love it. I have 103GB available to me (I'm sharing about 65GB out to others). I have some of my most important stuff from WHS set as a nightly backup and it seems to run religiously... It's saved me a few times when I was at work and needed something from my home office desktop (which syncs to WHS hourly using GoodSync) and then backs up nightly to Wuala....

P.S. Sorry to go off-topic I know you're a Palm Pre guy -- have you checked out Mode Switcher yet? It's an amazing "Profile" app that will automatically change your phone settings (volumes, brightness, radio status, etc...) based on triggers (Day/time, charger status, calender events, etc...) If you ever used ProfileCare, Profiles, or SPM, this does everything they did, and actually so much more.... Ping me if you'd like more info. It's too bad there aren't enough of us Pre users to go around.

greenawayj - man, we really need to start going by first names around here! :) I have not tried Mode Switcher as of yet. I am kind of a min guy when it come to apps on my phone. Not sure why. I'll take a look at it.

What are your plans for your Pre? Are you going to stick with it? Do you listen to any Palm podcasts? Excited about new hardware or 2.0 coming by the end of the year? Do you think HP will bring anything to the table?

Not to hijack this post...maybe we should start a new on on the adding apple site? jk.