RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 on G8 2020T

znelbok

Hi all

A friend needs me to build up one of the G8 2020T micro-servers for him for home to run his home automation system.  I suggested the server based on the support it seems to get here and the great price point.

New here so I am trying to get a grip of all the little things required, but there is one question that I have not seen yet.  I proposed Windows 10 as the server OS is way too expensive - especially for what he needs.

I have an SSD installed in the ODD port and added it to an array configuration, but when I start the install of windows it does not detect any drives available.

Now, I suspect that W10 does not have the drivers for the controller and I am familiar with another thread that says server 2012 R2 is a win8.1 equivalent, but what about W10 - before I waste precious downloads (itty bitty data caps for me) and my time, will the 2012R2 drivers work for W10.

Any other help greatly appreciated as well - I am here to learn.

Mick

Edited by znelbok

What ho znelbok!

You are either springing from SA ... the 'bok' ...

... or Germany Koblenz backwards ...

... or somewhere else.

I enjoyed a beautiful cruise in Germany a few months back.

Cheap G8 - good start!

If by 'Windows 10 as the server OS' you mean Windows 2012 Server (Essentials) ... then I agree it may be way too expensive.

Would Windows 10 Pro be too much?

What about W10 Home with a free remote access package? It will be best to operate the server headless, so remote access is essential.

Do you need Windows at all? Does the home automation software run under LINUX? UBUNTU MINT is a very Windows-like LINUX distribution.

Why did you install an SSD? There are various reasons why this might be a good idea:

- to release all 4 disk bays for a RAID storage system with an even number of disks

- to provide the disk access speed for tolerable VM test server performance

... but what does the home automation software need?

Windows 10 does not have the B120i storage controller driver ... but there is a recent series of posts on the main site (not the forum) which show precisely how to build various flavours of Windows machines.

You are correct that the drivers for 2012 Server will work on the corresponding client OS - W8.1 or W10.

Drivers are very small in any event.

All time on this forum is well spent ;-)

Edited by JackoUK

Hi all

A friend needs me to build up one of the G8 2020T micro-servers for him for home to run his home automation system.  I suggested the server based on the support it seems to get here and the great price point.

New here so I am trying to get a grip of all the little things required, but there is one question that I have not seen yet.  I proposed Windows 10 as the server OS is way too expensive - especially for what he needs.

I have an SSD installed in the ODD port and added it to an array configuration, but when I start the install of windows it does not detect any drives available.

Now, I suspect that W10 does not have the drivers for the controller and I am familiar with another thread that says server 2012 R2 is a win8.1 equivalent, but what about W10 - before I waste precious downloads (itty bitty data caps for me) and my time, will the 2012R2 drivers work for W10.

Any other help greatly appreciated as well - I am here to learn.

Mick

I'm running W10 Pro on my G8 right now with no issue

You'll need the B120i Drivers when loading then I'd suggest running HPSum after W10 is installed and that will update and/or add all the other drivers needed IMHO 

see the install for W8 at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10550-raid-on-windows-81-hp-gen8/?p=110758

The install process is the same as for the ML10v2 (check that forum) since it has a B120i also

Edited by Joe_Miner

Znelbok,

I am a newbie, and I just installed win 10 pro on my microserver gen8.

There are two things to make it straightforward:

1) get an ilo advanced trial license and activate it (so you have the virtual disk of windows10 and the virtual folder for the driver ob b120

2) download the b120 drivers from hp.

After that, the install runs smoothly

What ho znelbok!

You are either springing from SA ... the 'bok' ...

... or Germany Koblenz backwards ...

... or somewhere else.

I enjoyed a beautiful cruise in Germany a few months back.

Well spotted - no one has picked up that before.  Its my surname backwards.

Ok - so Win10 is in and running and all is well.  Thanks to everyone for replying.  I had already obtained the controller driver but it was good to get confirmation on the correct one which potentially saved me the frustration of trying many times.

All hardware has been detected and drivers loaded but there is still one unknown - Base System Device.  Does anyone know which driver I need to remote this and have it installed properly.

Cheers

Mick

I believe it's referring to the 2 iLO drivers -- ck links above

I would run HPSum which will update everything and load some useful things like the SSA apps