RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

QNAP TS-451 $270 They are giving this thing away for goodness sakes

awraynor

Not surprised. That is a smoking good deal. 

Yup, just goes to show you how much of a markup is in this stuff. Even at that price everyone is still making money. Its sad but that's the world we live in, Charge what the market will bear. I wish I could run my business that way. These NAS devices are way over priced and they could easily drop the price by 30% or more and still make plenty of profit.

Yes. When I took mine apart to replace the RAM I found little more than a drive cage, fan, and a custom motherboard.

The CPU is Celeron and 2GB of RAM. Guess we're paying for the custom OS which does work well. Hopefully the

reduced energy cost helps to defray the cost. 

Yes. When I took mine apart to replace the RAM I found little more than a drive cage, fan, and a custom motherboard.

The CPU is Celeron and 2GB of RAM. Guess we're paying for the custom OS which does work well. Hopefully the

reduced energy cost helps to defray the cost. 

That and the fact that if QNAP updates are anything like Synology you wont have to fix something that broke every time you turn around like I had to do with Microsoft servers. I enjoy peace of mind and not having to fix something that I did not break. My Synology NAS just hums along in the basement doing its job & self updating and the only time I touch it is when I want to do a configuration change, That is leaps and bounds from what I went threw before going full NAS. I now enjoy my free time not being a slave to my Tech.

Edited by itGeeks