RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Possible conversion to Rack 2U/4U?

flannell

Curious if anyone thought about, or actually done, moving the HP motherboard into a 2U/4U case?

I had a Google but found nothing.  Quite like the case, and could use a rack equipment shelf if need be, but wondered if the micro board had standard VESA style fixings.

Thanks in advance!

VESA mountings are for the back of TVs/monitors. They don't specify motherboard sizes. Intel runs the site that archives all the various PC motherboard form factor documents.

The motherboard inside the Gen8 Microserver isn't a standard size and doesn't come with an I/O backplate. You'd need to do significant work to fit it into a rackmount enclosure designed for something like Mini-ITX. It'd be better to just use the proper motherboard in the first place IMO as the Gen8 Microserver isn't new and has significant restrictions regarding total RAM + what CPUs will work.

Arghhh, what a dumbass.  Glad you knew what I meant to say.  Have all the maximum upgrades already, Xeon 1265Lv2 and 16GB.  Guess I'm looking to squeeze another 4x Reds in the case on port 2 of the m1015 card.  Could always use an external eSATA case I suppose.  Thanks for the reply.