RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Corsair CMX8GBX3M4A1333C9 and the N54L

mdr

Hi everyone,

Long time browser, first time poster here.

The forum has helped me tons in the past, and now once again I need the advice of the seasoned veterans.

I have a N54L with stock RAM. The other day a buddy of mine upgraded his gaming rig, and he gave me 2 x 8GB CMX8GBX3M4A1333C9. Now, I know that these microservers can be fickle beasts when it comes to RAM, but I know from reading on this forum in the past that many of you have had success with CMX8GBX3M1A1333C9.

So of course I tried it. I was happy to see the system boot, but my heart sank when I see that it is detecting the 16GB as only 4GB. Next I tried only one chip, and that it only detects as 2GB.

I left it with the 2 chips and it seems to be stable. 

Is there anything I can do to unlock the 16GB goodness? I am considering upgrading to the modded bios that seems to be floating around, and my hopes is that it will unlock the RAM voltages and timing and maybe I can coerce the RAM into working like that.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by mdr

The modded BIOS isn't going to do you any good IMHO though it would be a good idea to flash the most current Stock BIOS IMO.

Sometimes 16G works and sometimes it doesn't and it will vary from one machine to another........

Usually when 16G fails it will show 16G loaded but only 8G available -- you're only seeing 2GB per bank -- so I think you're out of luck on this one.

BTW, where did you see that your RAM was compatible?  I checked the Wiki and didn't see it http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Memory  as well as  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/ 

Edited by Joe_Miner