RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with my build

Tatts4Life

I plan to have a build that will run Windows and needs to run Plex and be easy to use for a super noob. I was thinking storage spaces then somebody said no try DrivePool. But then I read somewhere that Plex doesn't work with DrivePool. Does anybody have a suggestion for something that's simple to learn, runs on Windows 10 and can also run Plex?

My guess is that you will need a computer.

Sorry. That was very harsh and cruel to a first poster. I apologize.

Please provide more information about what you are trying achieve and this wonderful community will provide loads of good advice.

Are you building a homeserver and if so what do want it to serve?  Media, Files, Backup!

No Storage Spaces, period. Performance is horrible.

Agreed, Friends don't let friends use 'Storage Spaces' We wont even try and cover recovery from failed 'Storage Spaces' Just stay away from it.

My guess is that you will need a computer.

Sorry. That was very harsh and cruel to a first poster. I apologize.

Please provide more information about what you are trying achieve and this wonderful community will provide loads of good advice.

Are you building a homeserver and if so what do want it to serve?  Media, Files, Backup!

That was horrible but I will admit it made me laugh  :D I will try and start this whats going to be a very long thread.

I plan to have a build that will run Windows and needs to run Plex and be easy to use for a super noob. I was thinking storage spaces then somebody said no try DrivePool. But then I read somewhere that Plex doesn't work with DrivePool. Does anybody have a suggestion for something that's simple to learn, runs on Windows 10 and can also run Plex?

Welcome to the forums. This is going to be a very long conversation but we will try and keep it as simple as possible. We are going to need more info from you in order to try and help so I will start this off with questions below-

What is your budget for this build?

Have you ever built a computer/server before?

How much storage do you need?

Are you using anything else for hosting your files or will this be your main file server?

Your talking Plex so what kind of devices will you be trying to stream media to?

How many devices are you going to stream Plex media to at the same time?

Is all your media already in the correct format for those devices to play it or will you need Plex to do Real-Time Trans-coding?

What else are you going to run on this box?

These question just scratch the surface but should give us some idea and will lead to more questions.

Edited by itGeeks

lol like I said in the first post I have a plan as far as computer and operating system. It's the server part that's tripping me up. I want to use Windows 10 because there is another program that runs on Windows that I want to use for home automation on this server and since this will be an always on system I figured I would install it here. I read that Storage Spaces was nice, then I heard that DrivePool was nice, but then I read that Plex doesn't work with DrivePool. Then I heard about something called Flexraid which runs on Windows. So I end up getting frustrated with all the options.

Now my biggest needs are a place to store all my movies, music, and photos. For some reason I thought having a server also meant backups of my media, which turns out I have to have backups on another system to be real backups. I want to be able to run Plex on my htpc and my kids can watch stuff on their computer or an iPad., so transcoding is a must. Having access to my stuff from a computer at my in laws would be neat. Other then that I really don't have any other needs as far as I know.

Edited by Tatts4Life

Welcome to the forums. This is going to be a very long conversation but we will try and keep it as simple as possible. We are going to need more info from you in order to try and help so I will start this off with questions below-

What is your budget for this build?

Have you ever built a computer/server before?

How much storage do you need?

Are you using anything else for hosting your files or will this be your main file server?

Your talking Plex so what kind of devices will you be trying to stream media to?

How many devices are you going to stream Plex media to at the same time?

Is all your media already in the correct format for those devices to play it or will you need Plex to do Real-Time Trans-coding?

What else are you going to run on this box?

These question just scratch the surface but should give us some idea and will lead to more questions.

Sorry I just saw this after I hit post.

Budget? Don't worry I have an old computer for right now running Windows 10. I think the cup is strong enough to transcode movies.

I have built a computer in the past and I'm building my htpc/gaming system now.

I have one 6tb WD red drive almost full of movies and tv shows. Another one has a lot of music and my photos on it it's about 1tb worth on a 2tb drive, don't remember that brand. I also have a 1tb WD green I think that some idiot at my local store said would be more then large enough. That was crap, I filled that thing in less then a week.

This will be my main server. Again I just want a separate system to store all my stuff.

Plex could be streamed up to I think 4 systems at most. My htpc, an iPad, my daughters computer, and my cousins place in another state.

As far as I know all my movie and tv shows are mkv, MP4, and avi.

Right now the only other thing I want to run is something called premise that somebody showed me. They use it for home automation and I thought it would be fun to play with.

Think that answers all your questions.

lol like I said in the first post I have a plan as far as computer and operating system. It's the server part that's tripping me up. I want to use Windows 10 because there is another program that runs on Windows that I want to use for home automation on this server and since this will be an always on system I figured I would install it here. I read that Storage Spaces was nice, then I heard that DrivePool was nice, but then I read that Plex doesn't work with DrivePool. Then I heard about something called Flexraid which runs on Windows. So I end up getting frustrated with all the options.

Now my biggest needs are a place to store all my movies, music, and photos. For some reason I thought having a server also meant backups of my media, which turns out I have to have backups on another system to be real backups. I want to be able to run Plex on my htpc and my kids can watch stuff on their computer or an iPad., so transcoding is a must. Having access to my stuff from a computer at my in laws would be neat. Other then that I really don't have any other needs as far as I know.

Thanks for the update but respectfully you did nor ans many of my questions so I can further aid you in what your doing. You say you have a plan for a computer, Could you tell me what that is? I need all the specs your going to try and use. Also I need the rest of my questions ans, The only thing you ans was what kind of devices you are going to play media to and that's a start but I need more info. Please go line by line with my questions and please ans.

Sorry I just saw this after I hit post.

Budget? Don't worry I have an old computer for right now running Windows 10. I think the cup is strong enough to transcode movies.

I have built a computer in the past and I'm building my htpc/gaming system now.

I have one 6tb WD red drive almost full of movies and tv shows. Another one has a lot of music and my photos on it it's about 1tb worth on a 2tb drive, don't remember that brand. I also have a 1tb WD green I think that some idiot at my local store said would be more then large enough. That was crap, I filled that thing in less then a week.

This will be my main server. Again I just want a separate system to store all my stuff.

Plex could be streamed up to I think 4 systems at most. My htpc, an iPad, my daughters computer, and my cousins place in another state.

As far as I know all my movie and tv shows are mkv, MP4, and avi.

Right now the only other thing I want to run is something called premise that somebody showed me. They use it for home automation and I thought it would be fun to play with.

Think that answers all your questions.

What are the specs of that old computer? I need CPU, Memory.

Do you want to run Plex Media Server on this box or your new HTPC/Gaming box that your building?

Edited by itGeeks

I use DrivePool with Plex on a WHS 2011 and Windows 10 box. No problem with either one. 

Ever thought about this? It's on sale. Also check out the numerous other texts in the store. 

http://store.wegotserved.com/products/building-a-windows-10-home-server

First,

Spend $13 and buy " Building a Windows 10 Home Server". At least go to this website and read the chapter list of this 900 page book (pdf).

http://store.wegotserved.com/products/building-a-windows-10-home-server

It will help you plan,design,setup and run a W10 home server that I believe you are looking for including a full chapter on Storage Spaces (not recommended by me) and another full chapter on DrivePool. There are 3 chapters on Media Serving and another on RAID.  Of course you can look at NAS options (cheaper) or MS Server Option (dearer) but both those are another story and another book.  Your problem will be too many choices from too many very helpful souls.