RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

T20 + LSI RAID BIOS Enumeration

BogBeast

Hi all

Finally picked up one of the XEON units when it came up, so far very pleased.

I have an existing LSI Megaraid 9260-8i that I used for storage in my old server, now transferred to the T20 and have installed ESXi 5.5U3.

When the T20 cold boots, it recognises the controller BIOS and it loads, I can see the drives displayed. ESXi loads OK

If I warm boot, either by ESXi restart or CTRL-ALT-DEL, the T20 does not load the RAID Bios and ESX fails to boot, hanging at the Lsi_megaraid.sys driver load.

Annoying as I won't always be around to perform a cold restart in the event of a problem

Latest BIOS on card and T20, plus latest ESX drivers and UEFI & legacy boot mode tried, no difference...

Has anybody else had a problem like this?

Thanks !

Edited by BogBeast

• 1 month later...

I have a T20 running Windows 10, as it runs all of the HTPC programs that I need. I didn't have much luck with an HP P410 RAID card (it would almost continually lose a drive and never rebuild the array), so I purchased an LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i. The 9240-8i shows up in the BIOS just fine and detects all of the drives, but after loading the driver for Windows 10, I get a "Fatal Error" every time I boot. I was able to create a RAID-5 array, but if I try to format the array, I get a blue screen. I noticed that the Firmware wasn't at the latest version, so I downloaded and tried to flash the the card, but that too caused a blue screen. That has left me being able to see the card still at the BIOS screen, showing the array and with the current firmware, but when I boot into Windows, the card won't initialize so I fear that I have partially bricked the card.

Is anyone else having these kinds of issues and can you please point me to some sort of solution. Is anyone having success with a T20 and running a Windows operating system? I also loaded Windows Server  2008 R2 onto another drive and experience the same results.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but hoping to bring awareness to more issues with using an LSI RAID card in a T20. Are there any other solid / fully working recommendations for a good RAID-5 card for the T20 (that hopefully use a 8087 cable)?

Thanks in advance.

Stach

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Giuseppolino87
      By Giuseppolino87
      Hi everyone, today I wanted to install esxi 6.7 to try out the various functions, my question is the following, I have a server where I have installed esxi in an SSD and I have two other 4 tb disks so 8 tb total.  I would like to make sure that when I create a virtual machine in this case I will install the various virtual machines in the SSD and use the two disks for data.  So how can I do this?  Thank you very much for those who can help me.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Looking for a quick answer here from someone in the know...

I upgraded some of the internals of my Gen8 server and at the same time I did a BIOS reset as I had forgotten the password that I had set years ago. When booting back up the upgraded hardware was detected and fine but I received Error 1784 - Drive Array - Logical Drive Failure. I believe this is due to a setting change in the BIOS and not anything hardware related. I have gone into IP/SSA and see the array needs to be rebuilt. I had all drives configured as single RAID0. It says all data will be lost if I reconfigure this but I remember reading somewhere on here that the data will be fine if I reconfigure as RAID0.

I do have a backup of course, but it’s not a high availability mirror and will take some time to get back the way I had it, so just want to know if it’s safe to reconfigure the RAID0 without erasing the drives. I have tried pulling the drives out and connecting them to another PC and they are fine. Can anyone tell me which options to choose to get these back to normal and remove the flashing red light?

Thanks 😶
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB
    • TakiBot
      By TakiBot
      I've got my hands on a HP N40L.
      Can i use raid 1+0 on my 4 2TB WD RED or only 1 and 0.
      Thanks for the help.