RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma acquires Nodal

schoondoggy

This sure is interesting news. Boy to me it sure does look like this could be a winning product but only time will tell. I am still standing strong on what I said, If this product proves its self and is a grate performer I may replace my Sophos with this but only after I do some extensive testing with it. Cant wait to get the 1 I ordered. One thing I am disappointed about is we cant configure Luma threw a webbrowser at this point, For me that's how I would prefer to configure the device but other then that I am excited about it. I can also tell you that on paper hardware wize Luma is the better performer for many reasons but one thing to note is Luma support MU-MIMO and eero does not, That is huge. If you don't know what that is you can Google it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/32874-eero-gets-some-direct-competition

Edited by itGeeks

Exciting times. Can't wait to receive my 3-pack of Luma devices. 

For sure. What color did you order? I had ordered in white but after talking with my daughter she said it would look better in silver in her living room so I was able to change the color for her.

For sure. What color did you order? I had ordered in white but after talking with my daughter she said it would look better in silver in her living room so I was able to change the color for her.

I went with white. All the trim and cabinets in our house are white so that should blend better and hopefully have a better WAF.

This sure is interesting news. Boy to me it sure does look like this could be a winning product but only time will tell. I am still standing strong on what I said, If this product proves its self and is a grate performer I may replace my Sophos with this but only after I do some extensive testing with it. Cant wait to get the 1 I ordered. One thing I am disappointed about is we cant configure Luma threw a webbrowser at this point, For me that's how I would prefer to configure the device but other then that I am excited about it. I can also tell you that on paper hardware wize Luma is the better performer for many reasons but one thing to note is Luma support MU-MIMO and eero does not, That is huge. If you don't know what that is you can Google it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/32874-eero-gets-some-direct-competition

I hope this product doesn't over promise, but the team has a good pedigree. I will likely never use it to full potential, but willing to take a gamble. As long as I get better signal strength and filtering I'm good. 

I went with white. All the trim and cabinets in our house are white so that should blend better and hopefully have a better WAF.

I hope this product doesn't over promise, but the team has a good pedigree. I will likely never use it to full potential, but willing to take a gamble. As long as I get better signal strength and filtering I'm good. 

I understand what you are saying. We shall see, This device is for my daughter to protect the kids online so if it does that good what else could we ask for. I am getting a bit upset with Luma though because I have about 25 questions into them and they seem to be stalling with answers at this point and that concerns me. At first they where very responsive to answer with simple questions but now not so much. I will keep you posted.

I understand what you are saying. We shall see, This device is for my daughter to protect the kids online so if it does that good what else could we ask for. I am getting a bit upset with Luma though because I have about 25 questions into them and they seem to be stalling with answers at this point and that concerns me. At first they where very responsive to answer with simple questions but now not so much. I will keep you posted.

I think they are busy with CES stuff. Also, many of the questions from this forum are probably not what they expect from their target customer. 

One of my questions was answered, with a push from me:

My question:

Is there a maximum number of Luma devices per installation? Three should cover my home, but can I run four or five if needed?

I also have seamless steel siding on my house so unfortunately WiFi does not get very far outside of my house. I have a garage that is less than 50 meters away from the house. I have a Cat6 Ethernet cable running from the house to the garage. Can I put a Luma device in the garage and connect it to the Luma units in my house via the Ethernet cable?

Luma answer:

There is no limit to the number of Lumas that can simultaneously be on a single home network! Running 4 or 5 Lumas will certainly not be an issue. You will likely not need to attach the garage Luma to ethernet, because there will be enough of a single for the garage Luma to rebroadcast!

My reply:

Thanks, but the garage is 50 meters away and both the house and garage have seamless steel siding which does a very good job of blocking WiFi signal. If the Luma in the garage will not make a wireless connection to the house, can I connect it via Ethernet cable?

Luma reply:

You can connect the single Luma in the garage to Ethernet, but it will form a secondary network. We are planning to add Ethernet backhaul functionality in our first software update, but it is not available in the initial release.

So as I said, Luma will not be perfect at launch.

I think they are busy with CES stuff. Also, many of the questions from this forum are probably not what they expect from their target customer. 

One of my questions was answered, with a push from me:

My question:

Is there a maximum number of Luma devices per installation? Three should cover my home, but can I run four or five if needed?

I also have seamless steel siding on my house so unfortunately WiFi does not get very far outside of my house. I have a garage that is less than 50 meters away from the house. I have a Cat6 Ethernet cable running from the house to the garage. Can I put a Luma device in the garage and connect it to the Luma units in my house via the Ethernet cable?

Luma answer:

There is no limit to the number of Lumas that can simultaneously be on a single home network! Running 4 or 5 Lumas will certainly not be an issue. You will likely not need to attach the garage Luma to ethernet, because there will be enough of a single for the garage Luma to rebroadcast!

My reply:

Thanks, but the garage is 50 meters away and both the house and garage have seamless steel siding which does a very good job of blocking WiFi signal. If the Luma in the garage will not make a wireless connection to the house, can I connect it via Ethernet cable?

Luma reply:

You can connect the single Luma in the garage to Ethernet, but it will form a secondary network. We are planning to add Ethernet backhaul functionality in our first software update, but it is not available in the initial release.

So as I said, Luma will not be perfect at launch.

Thanks for the update. Well that's great news that they will add 'Ethernet backhaul' functionality because as I understand it if you use the wireless mesh you loose speed for every hop so that's not ideal if you can avoid it, Best case you want to hookup the mesh devices to Ethernet to avoid speed reduction. This is how 'Open Mesh' works anyway. As far as the questions go you are probably right in that they don't expect there target audience to ask such questions  but we are asking them for answers so we can see the short falls of this new unproven tech and so we should not have to pull teeth to them answers because that makes it seem like they are hiding something and that's never a good thing. We may not like what Luma comes back with but at least we can decide to purchase or not based on our findings rather then the old purchase 1st return 2nd. My order is in anyway so if I don't get the answers from Luma then I guess I will find out the hard way of testing to see what it can/cannot do. From the cover it looks like Luma is going to be an Awesome device so my spirits are high and hopefull

Edited by itGeeks

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is for anyone of us that pre-ordered Luma we better get to testing it right away because with only a 15 day return policy (I don't under stand that) time for testing is short. We need to drag Luma threw the mud to try and find any short falls of the device before its to late. I am personally dwelling on the 15 day return policy, Y so short? If they have faith in there product would they not give us at least the normal 30 days?

• 3 weeks later...