RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L no longer powering on

andyb85

Hi all,

I have an n54l running stock ram, ssd via the odd port and 2x 2tb disks, along with an external gfx card.

It's been working perfectly for the past 2 years but today when i tried to power it on nothing happened except a red light flashed on the hp logo.

I've tried re-seating everything, and i can get it to power on if i remove both disks and the ssd. Weirdly if i continue to plug/unplug the disks i can sometimes get it to work but it will eventually stop working again.

I haven't found much online regarding this but my suspicion is there is something wrong with the PSU.

Would anyone be able to confirm this? I see that it's possible to get replacement 1U PSU's but i don't want to buy something and it turns out to be something else e.g motherboard issue.

Thanks!

Andy

Edited by andyb85

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have an n54l running stock ram, ssd via the odd port and 2x 2tb disks, along with an external gfx card.

It's been working perfectly for the past 2 years but today when i tried to power it on nothing happened except a red light flashed on the hp logo.

I've tried re-seating everything, and i can get it to power on if i remove both disks and the ssd. Weirdly if i continue to plug/unplug the disks i can sometimes get it to work but it will eventually stop working again.

I haven't found much online regarding this but my suspicion is there is something wrong with the PSU.

Would anyone be able to confirm this? I see that it's possible to get replacement 1U PSU's but i don't want to buy something and it turns out to be something else e.g motherboard issue.

Thanks!

Andy

I know it has been a while since you asked the question, but I would definitely invest in another PSU (not the HP one). If it fixes it then good. If not just sell the PSU on Ebay,

I got a red light once and it turned out to be the PSU (dodgy fan). 

Another option is to buy another N54L or a second hand one (even a N36L or N40L would do), and use the power supply in that to test whether it is the power supply or not.

If it is, you can get another power supply and then have two working N54L's or sell the second N54L to offset some of the costs.