RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I need to Change the boot drive (Please advise)

zeus163

I've noticed that Stablebit Scanner has started to give me a warning about my boot drive (S.M.A.R.T. is not predicting imminent disk failure. However, some well known S.M.A.R.T. attributes that are indicators of mechanical problems are showing signs that the drive could be failing). I've decided I need to go ahead and switch the drive out. I have a few questions though.

A. Should I be looking at a SSD drive now for the server? My other computers have them, but my server doesn't. Otherwise I was looking at a WD Black drive.

B. I backed up the boot drive the other night, so that drive is good to go. However, that drive also contains an additional partition (D) with some of the server folders. What do you think the best way to go about doing this would be? I was thinking I'd move the folders from the D drive to my Drivepool and then move them back after the change.

--Should I do a restore to the new drive and then create the second partition and move the D folders back?

--Or should I look at some sort of back-up software and clone my drive so that I can just swap them?

Is there anything that I'm simply overlooking? Thanks!

I'd look into cloning the OS drive (shut your Server down completely and do the cloning on another machine is my suggestion)

Haven't tried it with S2012R2E but I've done it with WHS2011, S2008R2, W7, W8, W8.1

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4376-using-a-ssd-for-a-whs-2011-os-drive-what-are-the-benefits/

http://homeservershow.com/running-an-ssd-on-whs.htm

Thanks for your response. Do you have a particular cloning program you prefer? I once used Acronis that came bundled with a new drive and while it did clone my drive, it also decided to add it's own boot-loader. I'd like to avoid something like that again.

Thanks for your links. It was good to read the information and what others are thinking about having an SSD as the boot device on a server. I think I'll go the SSD route after reading that info.

I just use a Welland 2 bay HD Clone Doc. Works great and have cloned several drivers. Including a seagate 500GB 2 1/2" drive to a 1000TB Seagate Hybrid 2 1/2" drive. Dock does both 2 1/2" and 3 1/2" drives.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WELLAND-ME-603E-TURBO-LEOPARD-CLONE-DOCK-3-5-2-5-External-Dual-Dock-USB3-f33-/311352693907

gib

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's advice. I received the SSD earlier in the week, cloned the server boot drive on a different machine and everything went great.

Thanks!

• Like 1