RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

no interwebs after server shutdown

jason369

Hi all long time listener first time poster.

so i tried WHS2012r2 to see if that was the answer to some of my needs and it has been running strong for a few months. now i need to tear it down  but when i shut down WHS i lose internet(not wifi )on my win10 lappy. my wifi says HOME.local.internet access and also is on the remotewebaccess.com vpn . I'm shore its something simple but WHS was a big learning curve for me, I tried alot of things and searched but cant find a fix. Thanks

Laptops using the whs box as dns and you don't have a secondary would be my first guess...

Edited by Trig0r

Laptops using the whs box as dns and you don't have a secondary would be my first guess...

Sounds like what happened to me and one of the reasons I didn't stay with 2012.

You would still be okay until you rebooted the client or until the lease expires.  But yes, the client cannot find a proper DNS server which is all the more reason to keep DNS on the router.

You would still be okay until you rebooted the client or until the lease expires.

You're thinking of DHCP not DNS. The DNS server going down will be noticed nearly immediately when using the general internet.

thanks so much for the info. I will start there and see what i can do. I think i might ditch the whs and get a nas , whs is a little more than i need.

thanks so much for the info. I will start there and see what i can do. I think i might ditch the whs and get a nas , whs is a little more than i need.

Just bought a QNAP NAS. So much functionality in a small form factor. Quite happy so far. 

QNAP's are good, plenty of plugins and some models are powerful enough to also allow you to run a VM on them.

Personally for my use a WHS box is better, horses for courses though, depends exactly what the OP wants to do...