RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on my ML10v2

Joe_Miner

What I did on my ML10v2

Step-By-Step: Windows 8.1 Pro Installation on HP ProLiant ML10v2

Note: I used the most current HP Service Pack ProLiant version 2015.10.0 and the most current B120i driver CP024079.exe

Unless otherwise stated all ISO files I ran in iLO4 attached to my ML10v2 as virtual image files CD ROM/DVD and folders were attached as virtual folders

·         Ran HP Service Pack ProLiant (“SPP”) ISO file in Automatic Mode to make sure all firmware was up to date

·         Ran SPP in Interactive Mode and selected HP Smart Storage Administrator (“SSA”) to create a Logical Drive (“LD”) that I can load my OS (i.e. Windows 8.1 Pro update) onto

·         Created LD01 with 1 Samsung Pro 840 SSD in RAID0

·         Left remaining 4 HDDs and 1 SSD unallocated

·         Shut down the machine

--

Windows 8.1 Installation

·         Attached Windows 8.1 Pro x64 update (“W8.1”) ISO

·         Attached folder containing B120i Driver I extracted from CP024079.exe with 7-Zip

·         I Signed in using a Local Account to make it easier for me to run SPP later (I could always add a MS account later)

·         I selected “Later” for the Windows 10 update so as to focus on the Windows 8.1 installation, YMMV – NOTE: When I went to Windows Update to begin downloading important Windows 8.1 updates I had to go under “Optional Updates” and deselect the Windows 10 update – Unfortunately, every time I went to Windows Update the Windows 10 Update was again selected so I would have to deselect it again.  I found a solution at the SuperSite for Windows – I uninstalled update KB3035583 and then hid it as specified at http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

·         I next:

o   Changed screen resolution (personal preference YMMV);

o   Ran NETPLWIZ (personal preference YMMV – for the first few days there will be a lot of reboots so this is just a time saver for me);

o   Set Time Zone (personal preference YMMV);

o   Enabled Hyper-V (personal preference YMMV – this will be in my home lab);

o   Reboot;

o   Set Computer Name (personal preference YMMV);

o   Reboot;

o   Began running recommended Updates – multiple reboots;

·         When all Windows 8.1 updates are done then I attached SPP and ran HPSUM in Windows to update &/or add missing Drivers including SSA

·         In Windows 8.1 ran SSA to set-up additional LD’s

Here's the blog post on the Installation http://homeservershow.com/installing-windo-proliant-ml10v2.html 

Edited by Joe_Miner

I just installed Windows 10 on my ML10v2.  I put the B120 into SATA mode and used a 5x750's as a storage space triple mirror pool and have an SSD as the boot drive.

Works just fine with out of the box drivers.  I put a r5 350 GPU and have a USB sound card.  

Since I got my ML10 for 100 bux it was a no brianer.  Even with the i3 it makes a great Desktop\Test server

• Like 1

I just installed Windows 10 on my ML10v2.  I put the B120 into SATA mode and used a 5x750's as a storage space triple mirror pool and have an SSD as the boot drive.

Works just fine with out of the box drivers.  I put a r5 350 GPU and have a USB sound card.  

Since I got my ML10 for 100 bux it was a no brianer.  Even with the i3 it makes a great Desktop\Test server

It's a nice piece of Hardware for sure.  I agree, at that price it's a quite a deal!