RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Installing Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on my ML10v2

Joe_Miner

What I did on my ML10v2

Step-By-Step: Windows 8.1 Pro Installation on HP ProLiant ML10v2

Note: I used the most current HP Service Pack ProLiant version 2015.10.0 and the most current B120i driver CP024079.exe

Unless otherwise stated all ISO files I ran in iLO4 attached to my ML10v2 as virtual image files CD ROM/DVD and folders were attached as virtual folders

·         Ran HP Service Pack ProLiant (“SPP”) ISO file in Automatic Mode to make sure all firmware was up to date

·         Ran SPP in Interactive Mode and selected HP Smart Storage Administrator (“SSA”) to create a Logical Drive (“LD”) that I can load my OS (i.e. Windows 8.1 Pro update) onto

·         Created LD01 with 1 Samsung Pro 840 SSD in RAID0

·         Left remaining 4 HDDs and 1 SSD unallocated

·         Shut down the machine

--

Windows 8.1 Installation

·         Attached Windows 8.1 Pro x64 update (“W8.1”) ISO

·         Attached folder containing B120i Driver I extracted from CP024079.exe with 7-Zip

·         I Signed in using a Local Account to make it easier for me to run SPP later (I could always add a MS account later)

·         I selected “Later” for the Windows 10 update so as to focus on the Windows 8.1 installation, YMMV – NOTE: When I went to Windows Update to begin downloading important Windows 8.1 updates I had to go under “Optional Updates” and deselect the Windows 10 update – Unfortunately, every time I went to Windows Update the Windows 10 Update was again selected so I would have to deselect it again.  I found a solution at the SuperSite for Windows – I uninstalled update KB3035583 and then hid it as specified at http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

·         I next:

o   Changed screen resolution (personal preference YMMV);

o   Ran NETPLWIZ (personal preference YMMV – for the first few days there will be a lot of reboots so this is just a time saver for me);

o   Set Time Zone (personal preference YMMV);

o   Enabled Hyper-V (personal preference YMMV – this will be in my home lab);

o   Reboot;

o   Set Computer Name (personal preference YMMV);

o   Reboot;

o   Began running recommended Updates – multiple reboots;

·         When all Windows 8.1 updates are done then I attached SPP and ran HPSUM in Windows to update &/or add missing Drivers including SSA

·         In Windows 8.1 ran SSA to set-up additional LD’s

Here's the blog post on the Installation http://homeservershow.com/installing-windo-proliant-ml10v2.html 

Edited by Joe_Miner

Akro

I just installed Windows 10 on my ML10v2.  I put the B120 into SATA mode and used a 5x750's as a storage space triple mirror pool and have an SSD as the boot drive.

Works just fine with out of the box drivers.  I put a r5 350 GPU and have a USB sound card.  

Since I got my ML10 for 100 bux it was a no brianer.  Even with the i3 it makes a great Desktop\Test server

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

I just installed Windows 10 on my ML10v2.  I put the B120 into SATA mode and used a 5x750's as a storage space triple mirror pool and have an SSD as the boot drive.

Works just fine with out of the box drivers.  I put a r5 350 GPU and have a USB sound card.  

Since I got my ML10 for 100 bux it was a no brianer.  Even with the i3 it makes a great Desktop\Test server

It's a nice piece of Hardware for sure.  I agree, at that price it's a quite a deal!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Richardracer
      By Richardracer
      Good afternoon,

Newbie here, so please be gentle with me!

I have an 18 month old Gen8 server bought new but now out of warranty, so limited access to HPE updates.  My Gen8 has 8Gb memory, Recently added Xeon 1220v2, standard disk controller (122i ) and 4 off 3.5” drives giving 6Tb of storage under storage spaces.  OS on SATA HDD  sitting in ODD space as recommended on here.  I was running Win10 Pro, but after upgrading processor and trying to update drivers with Intelligent Provisioning, I fell foul of the expired warranty.  I also lost my printer driver for HP laser jet and my sound drivers (usb connected sound card).

To cut a long and painful journey a bit shorter, I am re-installing Win10 Pro from DVD, with licence key under IP.  My question as someone without warranty, but with a copy of the SPP download (ISO?), how do I install the various drivers needed from the SPP and do I need to update the firmware for the Xeon processor, if so how?  I read on here that the original 2014 J06 firmware does not have a thermal solution for Xeon processor and ILO shows high temps for some components.

I am reasonable knowledgeable in Windows of old and have Rufus to create bootable usb sticks, but unsure how to get from SPP ISO image as downloaded (871795_001_spp-2017.04.0-SPP2017040.2017_0420.14).

Any help from experienced gurus much appreciated!

regards

Richardracer.
    • npapanik
      By npapanik
      As in subject, Service Pack for ProLiant 2018.03.0 (SPP) does not support Microserver Gen 10?

Any explanation?

TIA
    • kavejo
      By kavejo
      Hi guys,

I was checking my MicroServer Gen 8 and I realised it's quite some time I don't apply a Service Pack with all its updates.
      Has anyone got a link to the latest available, please?

Thanks,
      Tommy
    • Calby
      By Calby
      Hi,
      Here is some new drivers and Firmwares that I have find that are newer then the once that was on the SPP.

The new drivers are
      Ethernet Firmware (Only Windows) (EXE-file) Ethernet Driver (Only Windows) (EXE-file) Graphifc Drivers (Only Windows) (EXE-file)  
      The link also inkludes
      Intelligent Provisioning 1.70.63 (All OS) (ISO-File)  
      Install instruktions
      If you 'll download and install the Firmware and driver for the Ethernetcard, make sure that you install the Firmware and reboot the server before you update the drivers.

The Intelligent Provisioning update is a bootable ISO-file.
      So just mount the file in your iLO remote console and then choose to boot the server from the DVD (mounted ISO-file) then follow the instructions.

Download link
      https://cloud.nohatech.se/d/d287965bf78c4a50a24b/

Password
      Sweclockers2017HPe

Download instruktions
      You can if you want donwload each file by it self or you can download all of the files in one zip-file.
      If you want to download the files in a zip-file just click on the Green link that says "ZIP" at the right on the download site and the server will zip the files for you and start a download for you.
      Every file is named like this HPesOwnPacketName_Version_FW/driver.exe everything so you can see the info about the files.

I'll continue to upload the newest drivers and firmwares for our beloved HPe Microsoerver gen8.
    • Calby
      By Calby
      Insted of updating my Post's I was just thinking that I could create a new thread for the new SPP.

I did install the new SPP and this following things was updated for me (I have only done the SPP 2017.04 before), If you want the latest updates for iLO you need to download it from HP's webbpage as iLO is only on v 2.50 in this SPP. So if you have only done the SPP 2017.04 I do recommend you to do this one also.
      And don't mind that it says Gen9 at the first update, it's the same as for the gen8.

You can download the SPP on this link: HP SPP 2017.07.1