RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

QNAP TS-451 $349 with Code

awraynor

Another curve ball. I have a Lifetime PlexPass subscription. Snagged it when it was $75. I use the mobile apps on what I use. 

I figure if they don't have the mobile apps they can't get to the movies that aren't G.

YouTube however is another thing. Come on Luma. 

itGeeks

Another curve ball. I have a Lifetime PlexPass subscription. Snagged it when it was $75. I use the mobile apps on what I use. 

I figure if they don't have the mobile apps they can't get to the movies that aren't G.

YouTube however is another thing. Come on Luma. 

I am sorry that is what I get for assuming something once again :( By the sound of it I thought you did not have a 'plex pass' sorry for that. I also snagged it when it was on special and glad I did. Have you tried and created additional users in Plex? I know you can and limit the viewing that way but I never messed with it.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203948776-Managed-Users

Edited by itGeeks

awraynor

I am sorry that is what I get for assuming something once again :( By the sound of it I thought you did not have a 'plex pass' sorry for that. I also snagged it when it was on special and glad I did. Have you tried and created additional users in Plex? I know you can and limit the viewing that way but I never messed with it.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203948776-Managed-Users

I hadn't thought about going that route. It would help me to reduce my reliance on iTunes and that is a good thing for sure.

I added them and restricted them to G content. I now need to go back and make sure all the movies are rated correctly.

It will surely help make transferring media to their iPads easier. 

Now if only the RES in my wife's van was better. Who would think navigating content by folder structure would be a good

idea, especially for a young child. What an expensive piece of crap that system is. Ultimately what I did was run an HDMI 

cable from the front console to the iPad in the rear. At least they can use a typical GUI to select media. 

itGeeks

I hadn't thought about going that route. It would help me to reduce my reliance on iTunes and that is a good thing for sure.

I added them and restricted them to G content. I now need to go back and make sure all the movies are rated correctly.

It will surely help make transferring media to their iPads easier. 

Now if only the RES in my wife's van was better. Who would think navigating content by folder structure would be a good

idea, especially for a young child. What an expensive piece of crap that system is. Ultimately what I did was run an HDMI 

cable from the front console to the iPad in the rear. At least they can use a typical GUI to select media. 

I no what you mean about iTunes (junk) I hate iTunes with a passion, iTunes makes more of a mess to ones music folder then I care to think about. I have spent countless hours cleaning up the mess that iTunes has made to peoples computers, I mean what program will continue to copy a file that already exists in a folder then make the decision without asking the user if they want to replace it, add it or skip it? iTunes continues to add the same darn music every time you scan then adds it again & again by adding additional info to the file name such as 1, 2, 3, 4, Crazy. End of rant. I just created a new user called Kids Rated G in Plex to see how it works, It works pretty good however its not perfect, The key with this is like you said you need to make sure all your movies are rated correctly then I see this working really well. When you setup the new user Plex even allows you to restrict the user from syncing content to there devices, You can also allow or not the user uploading pictures to the Plex server, That's a nice touch. If you get this setup to your liking then you should be able to scrap MyMovies as you can do it all in Plex. Here is another link about managed users in Plex https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203948776-Managed-Users

Folder structure navigation stinks and is a whole another topic.

Good Luck...

awraynor

I no what you mean about iTunes (junk) I hate iTunes with a passion, iTunes makes more of a mess to ones music folder then I care to think about. I have spent countless hours cleaning up the mess that iTunes has made to peoples computers, I mean what program will continue to copy a file that already exists in a folder then make the decision without asking the user if they want to replace it, add it or skip it? iTunes continues to add the same darn music every time you scan then adds it again & again by adding additional info to the file name such as 1, 2, 3, 4, Crazy. End of rant. I just created a new user called Kids Rated G in Plex to see how it works, It works pretty good however its not perfect, The key with this is like you said you need to make sure all your movies are rated correctly then I see this working really well. When you setup the new user Plex even allows you to restrict the user from syncing content to there devices, You can also allow or not the user uploading pictures to the Plex server, That's a nice touch. If you get this setup to your liking then you should be able to scrap MyMovies as you can do it all in Plex. Here is another link about managed users in Plex https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203948776-Managed-Users

Folder structure navigation stinks and is a whole another topic.

Good Luck...

Streaming a movie from the QNAP to the living room TV. It's DVD, not Blue-Ray quality. 

It's using 25% CPU and 16% RAM (of 8GB). No stutter, looks great. This is skewed by the

fact I transcode my folder rips into a high quality mp4 that averages around 1GB per film,

but that quality has been good enough for me and the NAS is handling it well. 

Yesterday I did a stream to a laptop and a phone simultaneously and it was 2% RAM.

itGeeks

Streaming a movie from the QNAP to the living room TV. It's DVD, not Blue-Ray quality. 

It's using 25% CPU and 16% RAM (of 8GB). No stutter, looks great. This is skewed by the

fact I transcode my folder rips into a high quality mp4 that averages around 1GB per film,

but that quality has been good enough for me and the NAS is handling it well. 

Yesterday I did a stream to a laptop and a phone simultaneously and it was 2% RAM.

Thanks for the update. The results your getting has everything to do with the fact that you have pre-trans-coded your media into MP4 and they are only DVD's and not Blu-Rays. Even Blu-Rays pre-trans-coded into mp4 should work for you. I run Plex on powerful hardware because I want the best quality the device can play with no loss so for me Real-Time trans-coding is best. I am glad your happy with your new QNAP.