RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

QNAP TS-451 $349 with Code

awraynor

This is the 4 bay , slightly older dual core model. With the code listed on the

page it's $349 until 1/4.

I bought the newer, quad core model and upgraded the included 2GB of RAM to

8GB of Crucial RAM. You basically have to disassemble the whole thing to do it,

but it's not hard. The thing is basically a tiny motherboard, fan and hard drive

cage. 

Mind you I"m not an IT Pro like most everyone on this forum, but the software

is quite good. Lots of add on NAS and Mobile apps. I think it will do more for me

than my old 2011 box. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107169&cm_re=ts-451-_-22-107-169-_-Product

This is the 4 bay , slightly older dual core model. With the code listed on the

page it's $349 until 1/4.

I bought the newer, quad core model and upgraded the included 2GB of RAM to

8GB of Crucial RAM. You basically have to disassemble the whole thing to do it,

but it's not hard. The thing is basically a tiny motherboard, fan and hard drive

cage. 

Mind you I"m not an IT Pro like most everyone on this forum, but the software

is quite good. Lots of add on NAS and Mobile apps. I think it will do more for me

than my old 2011 box. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107169&cm_re=ts-451-_-22-107-169-_-Product

I do believe you will enjoy your new QNAP more then your 2011 box at least I enjoy my Synology NAS more then the Microsoft Servers. Lots of thing you can do with these NAS boxes without much trouble or headache. How is Plex working for you on the new QNAP? Do you have the Plex Server installed on it??

I agree with you in that I will likely like it better than my 2011 box.  

I am going through the software and checking out the built in software and all of the included

options and there is a lot. I haven't installed a lot of the extra software yet, but I do have

Plex running. It did hit the CPU and resources a bit while it was organizing the library, but

still both below 40% if I remember correctly. I haven't done any transcoding yet, I am

also quite interested to see how the hardware handles that. 

Lastly, I still haven't fully decided on VEEAM vs. Acronis. PC Doc commented the other night

that he went with Acronis because of some problems with VEEAM. Either way my 2011 backups

weren't working so I have little to lose there. I am trying the 30-day free trial of Acronis Cloud and

I quickly see that I won't be continuing that portion of the software.

I have CrashPlan Family so when I enable that service I'll be very interested to see how that uses

resources. My main PC uses 2.5GB+ of RAM just for CrashPlan. I have the beta app of Amazon

Cloud Drive since I have a year free of the service. 

I am glad I bought a quad core NAS and upped the RAM to 8GB. When it's all set I'll look at putting MyMovies

on my main PC to ensure I can replicate all of the organization and auto-transcoding features on the regular

PC version of the software. I love MyMovies on the server, it's a key piece of my DVD workflow.

But, so far so good. This NAS is more of what I am looking for and I"m still amazed that tiny little box can do so much. 

I agree with you in that I will likely like it better than my 2011 box.  

I am going through the software and checking out the built in software and all of the included

options and there is a lot. I haven't installed a lot of the extra software yet, but I do have

Plex running. It did hit the CPU and resources a bit while it was organizing the library, but

still both below 40% if I remember correctly. I haven't done any transcoding yet, I am

also quite interested to see how the hardware handles that. 

Lastly, I still haven't fully decided on VEEAM vs. Acronis. PC Doc commented the other night

that he went with Acronis because of some problems with VEEAM. Either way my 2011 backups

weren't working so I have little to lose there. I am trying the 30-day free trial of Acronis Cloud and

I quickly see that I won't be continuing that portion of the software.

I have CrashPlan Family so when I enable that service I'll be very interested to see how that uses

resources. My main PC uses 2.5GB+ of RAM just for CrashPlan. I have the beta app of Amazon

Cloud Drive since I have a year free of the service. 

I am glad I bought a quad core NAS and upped the RAM to 8GB. When it's all set I'll look at putting MyMovies

on my main PC to ensure I can replicate all of the organization and auto-transcoding features on the regular

PC version of the software. I love MyMovies on the server, it's a key piece of my DVD workflow.

But, so far so good. This NAS is more of what I am looking for and I"m still amazed that tiny little box can do so much. 

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes these NAS have lots of software to offer so it can be a bit overwhelming at first but just take your time and you will see your way through it. As far as pcdoc and Veeam I am not sure Y he had problems with it as I have had nothing but good luck with it. I would say give it a shot and try it, You having nothing but time to lose. I even have some off-site clients backing to to my Synology using Veeam and its been rock solid. I have tested restores and its been 100% for both standard and UEFI bios computers. Nothing like WSE2011 that you have to hope you can restore but a failure rate of over 90%, No thanks. You can download Veeam Endpoint backup FREE here https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html As for MyMovies I have never used it and don't have a need for it, I am 100% Plex, What do you use MyMovies for if your using Plex?

Edited by itGeeks

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes these NAS have lots of software to offer so it can be a bit overwhelming at first but just take your time and you will see your way through it. As far as pcdoc and Veeam I am not sure Y he had problems with it as I have had nothing but good luck with it. I would say give it a shot and try it, You having nothing but time to lose. I even have some off-site clients backing to to my Synology using Veeam and its been rock solid. I have tested restores and its been 100% for both standard and UEFI bios computers. Nothing like WSE2011 that you have to hope you can restore but a failure rate of over 90%, No thanks. As for MyMovies I have never used it and don't have a need for it, I am 100% Plex, What do you use MyMovies for if your using Plex?

I have used it for years for metadata as their media collection tool is quite good. I rip the feature film from the DVD to a blank DVD. Then MyMovies on the server rips that DVD to a folder rip and then automatically transcodes to an mp4 file which is good for smaller devices and streaming over the net. 

I have used it for years for metadata as their media collection tool is quite good. I rip the feature film from the DVD to a blank DVD. Then MyMovies on the server rips that DVD to a folder rip and then automatically transcodes to an mp4 file which is good for smaller devices and streaming over the net. 

Thanks for the info. No disrespect but I think you causing your self extra work that is not need. Plex is fantastic at getting 'metadata' and now that Plex has the new 'Optimizer' feature for creating/trans-coding to other file formats you may want to reconsider your workflow. Just my 2 cents. I just think your creating extra work with additional software that is no longer needed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. No disrespect but I think you causing your self extra work that is not need. Plex is fantastic at getting 'metadata' and now that Plex has the new 'Optimizer' feature for creating/trans-coding to other file formats you may want to reconsider your workflow. Just my 2 cents. I just think your creating extra work with additional software that is no longer needed.

I like the mp4 copy so I can put it on the iPads for the kids when we travel. They are incredulous they don't have WiFi at all times, and I mean "ALL" times. 

I like the mp4 copy so I can put it on the iPads for the kids when we travel. They are incredulous they don't have WiFi at all times, and I mean "ALL" times. 

I understand totally, We live in a world of connect and the younger generation does not understand when there is no internet, They feel like its the end of the world. all that said at this stage if that's all your using MyMovies for then there really is no reason to continue to use yet another application for this because Plex now has added the 'Media Optimizer' that will convert/make another copy in mp4 for your mobile devices so its all under one software package, I have not tried it myself but from all the hype it sounds like it works great. Not trying to tell you what to do but I would give it a try. You may find that it takes some extra steps out of your workflow and makes it more seemless https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/214079318-Media-Optimizer-Overview

Edited by itGeeks

I appreciate the input. I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

I use the Plex Sync function to transfer movies to phones/notebooks/Surface that I use. It is most reliable when I"m on my home network.

I however don't use it for them. I figure if they don't have the Plex app they don't have access to all the non-G rated movies.

I know I could filter by rating, but they're used to it this way and it works for now. 

I appreciate the input. I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

I use the Plex Sync function to transfer movies to phones/notebooks/Surface that I use. It is most reliable when I"m on my home network.

I however don't use it for them. I figure if they don't have the Plex app they don't have access to all the non-G rated movies.

I know I could filter by rating, but they're used to it this way and it works for now. 

OK so now I think I understand, You don't have a 'Plex Pass' subscription so there are no mobile apps. OK then then I guess if your workflow works without paying for the 'Plex Pass' then stick with it.

Happy New Year!