RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

Merge or Delete a Private Network

itGeeks

I think I have found my problem but not a way to fix it.  Seems the computer I created the original homegroup with has gone to the happy hunting ground but my new computer thinks the homegroup still exists and wants its password (which I do not have). The other 3 older computers don't see the old homegroup and allow me to create a new one because I was able to remove them from the homegroup.  The problem is documented here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/deleting-old-homegroup/66cf9557-9130-4582-9d7b-4f8689699bf7?page=1

There is a suggested registry fix which I am reluctant to use as more say it does not work than does!!!!!!!

At least I know I am not stupid and that others are in the same boat.

Where all these computer that your having trouble join the "home group" in-place upgrades from a prior OS? Something does not sound right to me. I am not sure y you cant leave the 

"home group" on all your computers then delete the "home group" and recreate it. Have a look at this link below for help from other users with the same problem-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/phantom-homegroup-need-to-delete-homegroup-from-a/28f494ea-d0e9-4aeb-8e32-20f0942d1f11

I still feel from what I said arigonly if you leave the "home group" on all your computer and power all of then off then boot only one computer on and create a "home group" you will be able to joine the new "home group" Hope this info helps

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

Have tried all that.  The "Phantom Homegroup" still appears.  I have removed it from all 4 computers (in the registry) and shut them down in turn, rebooted each one by one but the phantom homegroup reappears. I figure there must be another registry setting with the homegroup info that I can't find.  After 10 minutes the phantom homegroup reappears in all 4 computers. This is the registry change I made to each computer then shut each one down.

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\HomeGroup\UIStatusCache

In there you can modify the Modifier key (hah) and the ModifierSystem to blank. Then change the UIStatus key to 0x00000004. You should be able to create a new Homegroup then."

itGeeks

Have tried all that.  The "Phantom Homegroup" still appears.  I have removed it from all 4 computers (in the registry) and shut them down in turn, rebooted each one by one but the phantom homegroup reappears. I figure there must be another registry setting with the homegroup info that I can't find.  After 10 minutes the phantom homegroup reappears in all 4 computers. This is the registry change I made to each computer then shut each one down.

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\HomeGroup\UIStatusCache

In there you can modify the Modifier key (hah) and the ModifierSystem to blank. Then change the UIStatus key to 0x00000004. You should be able to create a new Homegroup then."

Just to be clear did you delete a file called "idstore.sst.new" in the path: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworkingIt was really called idstore.sst. You may have to select show hidden files and folders to see the file. Even if you think you did this I would still try and again but this time do one computer at a time. 1st remove the computer from the 'home group' then delete the 'idstore.sst. file I would then go one step further and run the very well know utility ccleaner link below and to clean the reg, in most cases you have to run the reg cleaner multiple times till it shows no errors. You can download ccleaner portable version so it wont install anything on your computer its very safe, I been using it for years and it never hosed any of my systems like some of the other reg cleaners out there. Just make sure you create a restore point before doing any of this. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Once you do the above shut the computer down and move on to the next computer and perform the above & shutdown, Do this for every computer on the network till there all turned off then turn on the first computer that you want to create the new 'home group' from and hope for the best, If you able to create the new 'home group' then turn on the next computer and try and join the new 'home group', proceed till all the computers are on and joined to the new 'home group'.

Hope this info helps...

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

update: Some have reported it could take several minutes after turning on the first computer that you want to create the 'home group' on so I would let it settle for some time after you turn it on. During this time leave all other computers off.

Poppapete

First, I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my small problem.  I will try again.  One question.  I find 3 idstore files idstore.sst, idstore.sst.lkg and idstore.sst.new, all identical and all dated the day I DL'd my paid for brand new version of W10, 17/08/2015.

Do I delete the lot?

itGeeks

First, I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my small problem.  I will try again.  One question.  I find 3 idstore files idstore.sst, idstore.sst.lkg and idstore.sst.new, all identical and all dated the day I DL'd my paid for brand new version of W10, 17/08/2015.

Do I delete the lot?

I think I would delete the lot but make sure you have a system restore created first. I saw some talk about the idstore.sst.new, idstore.sst but nothing about the idstore.sst.lkg but it sure looks related so delete it. power off that computer and leave it off and do the same on the rest of you computer leaving each one off till they are all cleaned then power on the computer that you want to create the new 'home group' on and hope for a positive outcome. Just please make sure restore points are created before you do any of this. Please post back how it all when for others to learn. O and make sure you leave the 'home group' before deleting these files. The reason I am spending some much time trying to help you is because I don't like being defeated with this stuff so I am on a mission to help you fix this problem. If you have any trouble deleting those files then you may have to boot in 'safe mode' and if that does not work then there are about 4-5 services that need to be stopped. We will take this one step at a time till we get this fixed. Good Luck. 

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

No Go. I rebooted my desktop (all other computers off, except server) and waited 10 minutes. Then went to HomeGroup control it said I was invited to join that dam phantom homegroup I created 5 years ago on a now defunct and dead desktop.  I may even go and see if I can resurrect it and try and attach it to the network but I am pretty sure it is DEAD.

FYI this is what I did in order on each client:

Created Restore Point

Removed client from HomeGroup (but none were joined).

Deleted idstore files in folder PeerNetworking.

Ran Registry cleaner a # of times until no more errors.

Checked in registry to make sure no member in the UIStatusCache

Shutdown

Had Lunch

Rebooted Desktop. Waited 10 minutes. Into Homegroup and was told that old homegroup existed and did I want to join!!!!?????

Checked in Registry under UIStatusCache and sure enough the old Homegroup is listed again under ModifierSystem.

It must be getting that HomeGroup name from somewhere,  WindowsServer 2012 E R2 possibly or somewhere else in the client registry.

I give up.

EDIT.

I did a registry search for NEWEGG (The name of my phantom HomeGroup) on my desktop resulting in only 1 occurance, the one that reappeared after all my deleting.  I also did a search in Server registry and come up zero.

itGeeks

No Go. I rebooted my desktop (all other computers off, except server) and waited 10 minutes. Then went to HomeGroup control it said I was invited to join that dam phantom homegroup I created 5 years ago on a now defunct and dead desktop.  I may even go and see if I can resurrect it and try and attach it to the network but I am pretty sure it is DEAD.

FYI this is what I did in order on each client:

Created Restore Point

Removed client from HomeGroup (but none were joined).

Deleted idstore files in folder PeerNetworking.

Ran Registry cleaner a # of times until no more errors.

Checked in registry to make sure no member in the UIStatusCache

Shutdown

Had Lunch

Rebooted Desktop. Waited 10 minutes. Into Homegroup and was told that old homegroup existed and did I want to join!!!!?????

Checked in Registry under UIStatusCache and sure enough the old Homegroup is listed again under ModifierSystem.

It must be getting that HomeGroup name from somewhere,  WindowsServer 2012 E R2 possibly or somewhere else in the client registry.

I give up.

EDIT.

I did a registry search for NEWEGG (The name of my phantom HomeGroup) on my desktop resulting in only 1 occurance, the one that reappeared after all my deleting.  I also did a search in Server registry and come up zero.

No don't give up yet. Maybe I was not clear when I said you should shut everything down on the network the server should of been off also. Anyway what is handling your DHCP the server or router?

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

Sorry could not edit my post above so I continue what I was saying here-

No don't give up yet. Maybe I was not clear when I said you should shut everything down on the network the server should of been off also. Anyway what is handling your DHCP the server or router?

I am hopping its the router handing out DHCP. If it is then what I would like you to do is turn off everything on your network including all servers the only computer I want you to leave on for now is the one that you want to create the new 'home group' now login to your router and change the IP address for the network for example if your on the 192.168.1.x range change it to 192.168.2.x or what ever you want to use just make sure you change the 2nd to last number, now shut down the router and computer that you used to make the changes to the router wait 20-30 seconds and power on the router wait for it to settle then power on only the computer you want to create the new 'home group' so it gets the new IP address wait  bit for it to settle then go in and check to make sure it setup the new connection as private and not public and see if you can create the new 'home group'

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

OK,

More information.

At present router is TP-ER5120 (mostly use Sophos V9 but have shut it down to load new version but waiting for dust to settle on new version)

Router is handling DHCP

All clients are connected to Essentials 2012 R2 via skipdomainjoin and SkipAutoDNSServerDetection=false which prevents server from changing Client DNS to the server so they are set to autodetect DNS

3 of the clients are connected via ethernet and have fixed IP's which is set from the router

My laptop is connected via WIFI via an old ASUS RT-N66U set in AP mode but it too has a fixed IP set from the TP-ER5120

The desktop that is causing the trouble is connected via both adapters, one fixed and one dynamic, I will disconnect the fixed connection so that the router can set a new IP.

Now with that information do you want me to follow your last set of instruction?