RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Poppapete

Merge or Delete a Private Network

Poppapete

I have just noticed that my Windows 10 Clients (not in a Domain) are on different Networks. 2 are on a network called "Network" another on one called "Network 2" and another on "Network 4", all ethernet. It does not seem to be causing me any network problems.  They all can access the 2012E R2 server for file sharing, backup, media streaming.  In Windows 7 you could click on an icon under the active network and then merge, delete or rename the network. This option is no longer in W10 "Network and Sharing".  Don't know if it was in 8 or 8.1, can't remember.  After some googling I have found that in the registry you can get to the network profiles via:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Here you can delete or rename a profile.

My questions:

1.Is this the only way you can rename a profile in W10?

2. If I rename the profiles on my 4 computers so they are all the same how will that change my network.

3. Is this the reason I can't connect the 4 computers in a "HomeGroup"? Under W8 I had a Homegroup and then after adding new computers it did not work. I did not worry as I lost no functionality that I am aware of!

EDIT:

I remember now that I had the homegroup to share a printer that was connected to one of the clients.  I then connected the printer directly to the network so no longer needed a homegroup.

Andne

Since you're running WS2012R2E, are the computers joined to the domain?  Homegroups are disabled when computers are on their domain network.  I think under Windows 8 it mattered if the computer had to see a network as 'Home' in order to allow Homegroups, but I don't remember for certain and I don't think Windows 10 kept the distinction between 'Home' and 'Work'.

The name of the network means nothing, it's just how it's displayed to the user.  If the computer can't otherwise identify the network (for example, from a wireless network SSID), it calls the network 'Network' and then as it connects to more networks like this, it starts to number them.  Renaming the networks may make easier for you to know which one you're plugged into, but it has not bearing on the functionality of the network.

jmwills

^^ What he said. It's justca visual reference.

itGeeks

I have just noticed that my Windows 10 Clients (not in a Domain) are on different Networks. 2 are on a network called "Network" another on one called "Network 2" and another on "Network 4", all ethernet. It does not seem to be causing me any network problems.  They all can access the 2012E R2 server for file sharing, backup, media streaming.  In Windows 7 you could click on an icon under the active network and then merge, delete or rename the network. This option is no longer in W10 "Network and Sharing".  Don't know if it was in 8 or 8.1, can't remember.  After some googling I have found that in the registry you can get to the network profiles via:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Here you can delete or rename a profile.

My questions:

1.Is this the only way you can rename a profile in W10?

2. If I rename the profiles on my 4 computers so they are all the same how will that change my network.

3. Is this the reason I can't connect the 4 computers in a "HomeGroup"? Under W8 I had a Homegroup and then after adding new computers it did not work. I did not worry as I lost no functionality that I am aware of!

EDIT:

I remember now that I had the homegroup to share a printer that was connected to one of the clients.  I then connected the printer directly to the network so no longer needed a homegroup.

As Andne said the network name has no bearing on network functionality its just the "profile name" so don't loose sleep over it. Yes it would be nice if the network name was something meaningful but the "profile name" is just visual to the end user. That said there is another way to change the name without digging into the reg, Click the link below and look at option 2 you will have to reboot for the setting to take. Being that I am OCD I just renamed my network connection following the directions from the link below and it work perfectly :)

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/28375-network-profile-name-rename-windows-10-a.html

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

All my clients are connected using "SkipDomainJoin". I will sleep better tonight knowing the profile name has no bearing on network functionality. I still can't get them to join the same homegroup but as stated before I have no reason to have a homegroup.

Thank you

EDIT: I suppose to be an itGeek being an OCD is compulsory.

itGeeks

All my clients are connected using "SkipDomainJoin". I will sleep better tonight knowing the profile name has no bearing on network functionality. I still can't get them to join the same homegroup but as stated before I have no reason to have a homegroup.

Thank you

EDIT: I suppose to be an itGeek being an OCD is compulsory.

Just wondering I know you said you did the "SkipDomainJoin" hack but are you sure your clients did not join anyway? Did you check to make sure all clients are in the same WorkGroup? also did you check to make sure all the clients networks are set to Private and not Public? I have seen many times that the network was set to Public and not private. Also check the link below for other fixes and options, Make sure you create a restore point if you decide to run the utility at your "own" risk. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/why-can-t-i-join-a-homegroup

If all else fails then I would try-

Assuming network settings are otherwise OK and all clients are in the same "WorkGroup" and on the same sub net

a. Remove ALL machines from homegroup

b. Turn ALL machines off

c. Turn one machine on

d. Create a new homegroup on that machine

e. Turn on others one by one and join them to it

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

I have renamed the workgroup on each computer (which I assume makes sure they are in the same workgroup.

Under "Network and sharing center" all show as Private Network (although the network name is different but you guys assure me that is irrelevant)

Thanks for the link I will study it.

nrf

I tend to rename mine to simply "LAN" as my pcs don't move around.  Unfortunately any time I load a new 'router' the connections get renamed.

Poppapete

I think I have found my problem but not a way to fix it.  Seems the computer I created the original homegroup with has gone to the happy hunting ground but my new computer thinks the homegroup still exists and wants its password (which I do not have). The other 3 older computers don't see the old homegroup and allow me to create a new one because I was able to remove them from the homegroup.  The problem is documented here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/deleting-old-homegroup/66cf9557-9130-4582-9d7b-4f8689699bf7?page=1

There is a suggested registry fix which I am reluctant to use as more say it does not work than does!!!!!!!

At least I know I am not stupid and that others are in the same boat.

itGeeks

I have renamed the workgroup on each computer (which I assume makes sure they are in the same workgroup.

Under "Network and sharing center" all show as Private Network (although the network name is different but you guys assure me that is irrelevant)

Thanks for the link I will study it.

Your welcome. I use to rename the "workgroup" name to something of my liking but that was a big hassle so now I leave all my none domain clients at the default workgroup  name as "WORKGROUP" and everything seems to work much better. Just wondering Y you feel the need to create a home group? I have setup networks for years long before "home group" was introduced  and never found the need to setup a home group.

Edited by itGeeks