RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trouble installing MS Servers 2012

typer77

Hi Gents,

I have followed the previous posts on how to update firmware and set up Raid for the OS drives. For me, I am using 2 older SSDs sitting in my drawer.  (1. Intel 320series 120GB 2.Plextor 256GB)

I don't mind not being able to use all the capacity, and I ran them in RAID 0.

So I get this message while trying to boot using Windows Server Installer. "Missing Operating System."

I have given up a lot of different tries using USB key, ISO mounted virtual drives... The problem is due to the RAID set up.

Once I clear the RAID ARRAY, then Windows installer boots without a problem.

Does anyone how to resolve this problem please?

thank you

Jack

It sounds like the B120i driver is not getting loaded. Did you try installing Windows Server 2012 using Intelligent Provisioning?

Did you update all of the firmware? Do you have a ML10 or a ML10 V2?

Could you give us more detail on how you are doing your installation............

Server 2012 or Server 2012R2 or Server 2012E or Server 2012R2E? (since you said "Servers" it would be helpful to know which one we're dealing with)

ML10v2?

4GB RAM?

SSD's connected to Ports 1 & 2?

All firmware has been updated with SPP?

If using the ISO in the iLO4 Virtual Optical Drive and the B120i driver (extracted from CP024079.exe ) in the iLO4 Virtual folder then --

You have already created the Logical Drive for the OS in SSA using the SPP?

During Post you temp selected the Virtual Optical Drive to be 1st in the Boot Order?

You already loaded an Advanced iLO Key earlier?

If doing everything locally with the B120i driver (extracted from CP024079.exe ) loaded on a USB drive and the Windows OS Loader on a bootable USB drive --

Are you ONLY using the USB 2.0 ports on the front of the ML10v2?  -- BTW: the back USB ports are USB 3.0 and I don't believe they are enabled until after the OS is loaded 

During Post you temp selected the USB ports as the 1st boot order?

Have you tried different USB drives?

Have you tried the install with only 1 SSD in a RAID0 as you Logical Drive for the OS?  (tried each SSD this way in turn?)

I am only asking these questions to try and narrow down what the issue may be and eliminate possibilities brought to light by other's experience in the past.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Dear all,

I finally got it to work while I was replying to the questions Joe had for me. I kept trying different things and it came down to a small small mistake which is the temp one-time boot. I just needed to choose USB key rather than CD/DVD.

thanks to  everyone trying to help!!! IT IS WORKING NOW!!! ;)

Just curious if I were trying to use virtual optical drive (image with MS OS installer), should I pick network booting?

A hardware question.... I am about to upgrade the Pentium CPU to a Xeon CPU. While trying to stay with the stock heatsink, I want to see if I can use Liquid Metal Thermal paste to give it a better heat dissipation. However, LM cannot be used with Aluminum heatsink. Does anyone know if the bottom of the Intel Heat sink is Aluminum or Nickel plated copper?

thanks again guys!!

Best

Jack

Could you give us more detail on how you are doing your installation............

Server 2012 or Server 2012R2 or Server 2012E or Server 2012R2E? (since you said "Servers" it would be helpful to know which one we're dealing with) I am using the Server 2012R2 trial downloaded from MS.

ML10v2? ML10 V2 Pentium version

4GB RAM? 4GB

SSD's connected to Ports 1 & 2? Yes, connected to both 1 &2.

All firmware has been updated with SPP? Yes, updated with SPP

If using the ISO in the iLO4 Virtual Optical Drive and the B120i driver (extracted from CP024079.exe ) in the iLO4 Virtual folder then --

You have already created the Logical Drive for the OS in SSA using the SPP? Yes, created Logical drive with 240G (RAID 0) with SSA inside SPP.

During Post you temp selected the Virtual Optical Drive to be 1st in the Boot Order? I think so.... I hit F11 key and chose CD/DVD

You already loaded an Advanced iLO Key earlier? I am using Trial iLO essential.

If doing everything locally with the B120i driver (extracted from CP024079.exe ) loaded on a USB drive and the Windows OS Loader on a bootable USB drive --

Are you ONLY using the USB 2.0 ports on the front of the ML10v2?  -- BTW: the back USB ports are USB 3.0 and I don't believe they are enabled until after the OS is loaded 

During Post you temp selected the USB ports as the 1st boot order?

Have you tried different USB drives?

Have you tried the install with only 1 SSD in a RAID0 as you Logical Drive for the OS?  (tried each SSD this way in turn?) 

I am only asking these questions to try and narrow down what the issue may be and eliminate possibilities brought to light by other's experience in the past.

-snip-

Just curious if I were trying to use virtual optical drive (image with MS OS installer), should I pick network booting?

--snip-

If you were using an ISO in the iLO4 Virtual Optical Drive you would want to set the (Virtual) Optical Drive 1st in boot order

Congratulations on getting your OS loaded -- I look forward to hearing about your setup and experiences with the ML10v2

Don't know about the Heat Sink for sure.........

Thanks Joe.

I finally got around to replace the Pentium with a Xeon E3 - 1281 v36. Everything fired up correctly and I ran a stress test for 30 mins. Everything is stable. 

I am going to install my HD's tmr and play around with Hyper-V.  

I am new to VM, so I appreciate if anyone can shed some light for me regarding VM softwares.. 

Best Regards,

Jack