RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP H220 HBA

iandrews

Hi, does anyone use a HP H220 HBA card. If so I was wondering what speed SATA disks run at.

As the tech doc says the following in the overview:

The H220 provides support for both 6 Gb SAS and SATA Hard Disk Drives.

But in the Technical Specifications it has the following:

Dimensions (excluding
bracket)
6.6 x 2.7 x 0.6 in (16.8 x 6.86 x 1.6 cm)
Disk Drive and Enclosure
Protocol Support
6 Gbps SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)
3 Gbps SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment)
Architecture Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)
Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA)
PCIe 3.0 x8
SAS Connectors 2x4 internal
Data Transfer Method 2.4 GB/s per port for combined throughput of up to 48 Gb/s
PCIe Bus Speed PCIe 3.0 x8 (8 GT/s maximum bandwidth)
Simultaneous Connection
Transfer Ports
2 x 4 Wide SAS Connectors
Port Transfer Rate 48 Gb/s per x8 Wide SAS Port (8 x 6 Gb/s)
Software upgradeable
Firmware
Yes
Maximum Capacity 42 TB SAS, 42 TB SATA
Memory Addressing 64-bit, supporting servers memory greater than 4 GB
Upgradeable Firmware 4-MB flashable ROM
Disk Drive and Enclosure
Protocol Support
6 Gb/s SAS / SATA

As can be seen, it mentions Disk Drive and Enclosure Protocol Support twice, and in the first one lists 3 Gbps SATA. The tech docs for both the H221 and H222 (which I assume are the same kind of card but with either 8 or 4 external ports) both also have Disk Drive and Enclosure Protocol Support listed twice, but for those the first time says 6 Gbps SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment).

So it seems strange that the H220 has 3Gbps SATA ports and the others 6, but want to be sure.

Thanks for that.

Anyone know about ilo4 support, don't think the card is "officially" supported, but think I seem to remember someone saying that ilo does recognise (and monitor) it.

Also, any info on the H240 (again ilo4 support), it seems to be an updated card with 6GB SATA and 12GB SAS, and also supports RAID 0, 1 and 10 I think as well as pass through.

Anyone know about ilo4 support, don't think the card is "officially" supported, but think I seem to remember someone saying that ilo does recognise (and monitor) it.

iLO4 doesn't support those cards. Monitoring is only available on the P222 or newer generation of cards. This includes the P420.

Also, any info on the H240 (again ilo4 support), it seems to be an updated card with 6GB SATA and 12GB SAS, and also supports RAID 0, 1 and 10 I think as well as pass through.

Same again. Not supported. You need a P series SmartArray card of the correct generation to have direct iLO monitoring. Installing the iLO AMS drivers may provide some information though.