RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Wi-Fi at CES 2016

Dave

Awesome! Thanks for the info. When I reached out to them I got a canned response so maybe they've beefed up their customer support? Either way, I appreciate you getting the answers.

Not being able to maintain my primary router as my main device is disappointing. I run DD-WRT on an R7000 and have quite a bit configured on it (ip address tables, VPN server and client, VLANs, and a small landing page hosted on it) so I was hoping that I could just add Luma to that. Still, I have my pre-order in and I'll see if I can still integrate it into my existing setup. If anything I can return it within the return window.

They lost me at bridging my firewall. I'll wait until one of you get one to see if you can put the device in an AP mode-ish setup without causing double NAT.

I got a Fortinet to certify with so its still my main firewall appliance.

They lost me at bridging my firewall. I'll wait until one of you get one to see if you can put the device in an AP mode-ish setup without causing double NAT.

I got a Fortinet to certify with so its still my main firewall appliance.

I have some eero's on pre-order as well and will be testing both in the same scenario. I have more hope for eero since they allow you to switch to a openwrt mode, but it's unclear if switching to openwrt will retain its mesh capabilities. If neither allows me to retain my main router then I think I'll just go with Open Mesh. Ubiquiti is nice as well, but I hate having that Java controller.

Question 1: Can you offer the same or better security than Sophos, Untangle or PFsense? Is Luma a router or a  firewall?

Question 2: Can you offer the same or better monitoring than Circle?

Question 3: How big (number of devices) can a Luma installation scale to, without compromising performance? 

Question 4: If I am running Luma in my house and want to extend it to a detached garage that is too far away for WiFi coverage due to steel siding, can I use a wired Ethernet cable to bridge the gap between Luma devices? 

Question 5: To stay effective Luma will need regular updates. Will Luma become a fee based service?

Question 6: Many homes will require a mixed network of WiFi and wired Ethernet due to legacy devices that do not have WiFi. What is the best/recommended way to integrate Luma with wired Ethernet? 

Question 7: I have a test lab that I need to run separate (isolated) from my home network. Is it best to run my lab firewall from behind Luma or run Luma behind my lab firewall or do I need to invest in two separate IP addresses from my ISP?

Question 8: With Luma having BlueTooth LE support, it would appear you are looking at entering the home automation market as well. My home may not be average but I have 40-50 WiFi/Ethernet devices and 40-50 home automation devices. Will a Luma system be able to handle that load?

Question 9: The number of Luma devices required seems to be based on coverage, is there a load factor as well?

Question 10: When will Luma ship?

Bonus Question: Windows Phone or Windows 10 App? Windows Phone numbers are low, but Windows tablets are growing fast some people will want to manage this from a PC.

These are all really great questions, I can't wait to see the answers. I have a few questions of my own, See below-

Question 1: What company's engines are you using for the protection of Luma? Such as the Virus Scanner, Malware protection & the Web Filter
Question 2: Will all the added protection for Virus Scanning, Malware & the web filter be subscription based every year or will it remain free for life?
Question 3: How often will the definitions for the protection above be updated?
Question 4: Will the updates be automatic or manual and if automatic can we set the time updates take place?
Question 5: With internet speeds reaching Gigabit such as Google Fiber will Luma be a bottle neck at those speeds or can Luma handle it?
Question 6: Will I get the full internet speed that I pay for or will Luma cut my speed with all the security it provides?

I would doubt it.

I would also doubt it but thought I would throw it out there in case anyone else was wondering.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Wow I was about to preorder the Luma and saw on here that it wont support being an access point, which wouldn't be a huge issue normally but I am getting google fiber installed soon and from what I am reading about the Google Fiber Network Box is that it isnt easy to replace (not impossible, would just need to get something like an edgerouter lite or similar) and I dont want to double NAT it either.

schoondoggy

Wow I was about to preorder the Luma and saw on here that it wont support being an access point, which wouldn't be a huge issue normally but I am getting google fiber installed soon and from what I am reading about the Google Fiber Network Box is that it isnt easy to replace (not impossible, would just need to get something like an edgerouter lite or similar) and I dont want to double NAT it either.

If you need to use the Google Fiber Network Box and you just need WAP's then you should look at Open-Mesh, you could add Circle for some of the family tools.