RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Wi-Fi at CES 2016

Dave

I just got a notice that Luma will be at CES so I will stop and chat with them.  I'll give them a chance to earn my money too!  If you have any questions for the two co-founders of Luma please leave them in here.  I should be able to get a hardware and app demo.  I'm officially excited for CES now!  Here is what Luma emailed to me:

WHO:
  • Dr. Paul Judge, Co-Founder, Luma
  • Mike Van Bruinisse, Co-Founder, Luma
WHAT:
  • Demos of Luma, the surround Wi-Fi system perfectly personalized for every family and home. Features include smart set-up, intelligent fine-tuning and always on, always-strong connectivity and steady streaming.
  • With more and more devices vying for Wi-Fi in the home, see how Luma is built for the Connected Home and how it is the first home network that understands users through auto device discovery and user recognition.
  • Test out the Luma app first hand. The app gives users unprecedented control over who and what is on their home network. Features include:
    • Access Control - allow or revoke anyone's access with a single swipe
    • Instant View - view in real-time the content being accessed by all users
    • Internet Pause Button & Curfews - pause the Internet during dinner or turn off usage at bedtime
    • Network Level Content Filtering - set rules & policies for each user
    • Intuitive Ratings System - filter content based on the PG rating scale
    • Parental Monitoring & Alerts - see what kids are viewing in real-time and receive alerts when inappropriate content is accessed
  • Experience how Luma provides homes with enterprise-grade cybersecurity measures, including virus and intrusion detection.  
  • Be the first to speak with the co-founders regarding Luma's latest news, which will be announced just prior to the shows. 

The obvious one would be the shipping date. Wife wants to block son from YouTube and she is all in on Luma.

The downside is telling her "hopefully" it ships in March.

If it gets too frustrating may have to get something like Circle as an interim measure. 

I just got a notice that Luma will be at CES so I will stop and chat with them.  I'll give them a chance to earn my money too!  If you have any questions for the two co-founders of Luma please leave them in here.  I should be able to get a hardware and app demo.  I'm officially excited for CES now!  Here is what Luma emailed to me:

WHO:
  • Dr. Paul Judge, Co-Founder, Luma
  • Mike Van Bruinisse, Co-Founder, Luma
WHAT:
  • Demos of Luma, the surround Wi-Fi system perfectly personalized for every family and home. Features include smart set-up, intelligent fine-tuning and always on, always-strong connectivity and steady streaming.
  • With more and more devices vying for Wi-Fi in the home, see how Luma is built for the Connected Home and how it is the first home network that understands users through auto device discovery and user recognition.
  • Test out the Luma app first hand. The app gives users unprecedented control over who and what is on their home network. Features include:
    • Access Control - allow or revoke anyone's access with a single swipe
    • Instant View - view in real-time the content being accessed by all users
    • Internet Pause Button & Curfews - pause the Internet during dinner or turn off usage at bedtime
    • Network Level Content Filtering - set rules & policies for each user
    • Intuitive Ratings System - filter content based on the PG rating scale
    • Parental Monitoring & Alerts - see what kids are viewing in real-time and receive alerts when inappropriate content is accessed
  • Experience how Luma provides homes with enterprise-grade cybersecurity measures, including virus and intrusion detection.  
  • Be the first to speak with the co-founders regarding Luma's latest news, which will be announced just prior to the shows. 

I feel a Luma in your near future Dave, You sure you don't want to cancel Eero? You could put Circle in a bag and use as a give away meetup 2016 and have it all on one device :) I Pre-Ordered one using Kevin referral link 99.00 and can't wait. In your case big multi story house I think I would go for the 3 pack 249.00, That is a steal but you have to act fast because its says only good to end of year. Here is Kevin referral link, He gets 20.00 off his units for every order placed. https://getluma.com/?ct-referral-code=uD579IaM

I got a referral link as well when I placed my order but I don't want to rain on Kevin's parade as he was the one that told use about this exciting unit.

For anyone finding this thread first have a look at the link below for all the grate talk about Luma.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10447-luma-wifi-and-security/

Edited by itGeeks

That's great news. I have a few questions which may be a fringe case but would love to know the answer to nonetheless.

-I know Luma is intended to replace you router but can Luma still be used as access points with a main router retaining control of DHCP, etc...?

-Will Luma have the ability to broadcast multiple virtual SSIDs on the same network?

-Will there be a guest network with ability to throttle and manage access?

That's great news. I have a few questions which may be a fringe case but would love to know the answer to nonetheless.

-I know Luma is intended to replace you router but can Luma still be used as access points with a main router retaining control of DHCP, etc...?

-Will Luma have the ability to broadcast multiple virtual SSIDs on the same network?

-Will there be a guest network with ability to throttle and manage access?

Here is some FAQs http://support.getluma.com/hc/en-us/sections/202889548-About-Luma and here http://support.getluma.com/hc/en-us

If you don't find your answers then fill out this form or call them, They are very responsive. Please don't forget to post back your findings for others to learn.

https://getluma.com/contact/

Edited by itGeeks

Here is some FAQs http://support.getluma.com/hc/en-us/sections/202889548-About-Luma and here http://support.getluma.com/hc/en-us

If you don't find your answers then fill out this form or call them, They are very responsive. Please don't forget to post back your findings for others to learn.

https://getluma.com/contact/

Yeah, I've gone through their FAQ but just like eero, details for more nuanced questions are scant. Any questions about them being used behind a master router are always responded to with the canned answer of "it's meant to replace your existing router". I have my pre-order in (a few weeks before it showed up in the forums actually), but am still curious about being used as access points. I figured since Dave will be there and is looking for questions to ask them I would throw those in there.

schoondoggy

Question 1: Can you offer the same or better security than Sophos, Untangle or PFsense? Is Luma a router or a  firewall?

Question 2: Can you offer the same or better monitoring than Circle?

Question 3: How big (number of devices) can a Luma installation scale to, without compromising performance? 

Question 4: If I am running Luma in my house and want to extend it to a detached garage that is too far away for WiFi coverage due to steel siding, can I use a wired Ethernet cable to bridge the gap between Luma devices? 

Question 5: To stay effective Luma will need regular updates. Will Luma become a fee based service?

Question 6: Many homes will require a mixed network of WiFi and wired Ethernet due to legacy devices that do not have WiFi. What is the best/recommended way to integrate Luma with wired Ethernet? 

Question 7: I have a test lab that I need to run separate (isolated) from my home network. Is it best to run my lab firewall from behind Luma or run Luma behind my lab firewall or do I need to invest in two separate IP addresses from my ISP?

Question 8: With Luma having BlueTooth LE support, it would appear you are looking at entering the home automation market as well. My home may not be average but I have 40-50 WiFi/Ethernet devices and 40-50 home automation devices. Will a Luma system be able to handle that load?

Question 9: The number of Luma devices required seems to be based on coverage, is there a load factor as well?

Question 10: When will Luma ship?

Bonus Question: Windows Phone or Windows 10 App? Windows Phone numbers are low, but Windows tablets are growing fast some people will want to manage this from a PC.

Yeah, I've gone through their FAQ but just like eero, details for more nuanced questions are scant. Any questions about them being used behind a master router are always responded to with the canned answer of "it's meant to replace your existing router". I have my pre-order in (a few weeks before it showed up in the forums actually), but am still curious about being used as access points. I figured since Dave will be there and is looking for questions to ask them I would throw those in there.

I have taken the liberty to contact my rep at Luma and you should be delighted with most if not all the answers to your questions below-

In regard to your other questions:
1) Luma cannot be set up in access point only mode, but you can keep your current router as a bridged-mode device if it has some functionality that you would prefer not to lose.
2) Yes, Luma can be set up to broadcast multiple SSIDs, and one can set separate SSIDs for each broadcast band on the same network.
3) Yes, guest networks are supported and fully configurable with bandwidth limitations and parental control features!
Thank you again, and please let us know if you have any additional questions!

This just goes to show you that they are very responsive to questions, I only emailed them this morning when they where closed and in less then 8 hours they responded back to me, This is a company very commited to customer satisfaction and I would suggest if you have any questions contact them and they will respond ASAP. Hope this info helps...
Edited by itGeeks

I have taken the liberty to contact my rep at Luma and you should be delighted with most if not all the answers to your questions below-

In regard to your other questions:
1) Luma cannot be set up in access point only mode, but you can keep your current router as a bridged-mode device if it has some functionality that you would prefer not to lose.
2) Yes, Luma can be set up to broadcast multiple SSIDs, and one can set separate SSIDs for each broadcast band on the same network.
3) Yes, guest networks are supported and fully configurable with bandwidth limitations and parental control features!
Thank you again, and please let us know if you have any additional questions!

This just goes to show you that they are very responsive to questions, I only emailed them this morning when they where closed and in less then 8 hours they responded back to me, This is a company very commited to customer satisfaction and I would suggest if you have any questions contact them and they will respond ASAP. Hope this info helps...

Awesome! Thanks for the info. When I reached out to them I got a canned response so maybe they've beefed up their customer support? Either way, I appreciate you getting the answers.

Not being able to maintain my primary router as my main device is disappointing. I run DD-WRT on an R7000 and have quite a bit configured on it (ip address tables, VPN server and client, VLANs, and a small landing page hosted on it) so I was hoping that I could just add Luma to that. Still, I have my pre-order in and I'll see if I can still integrate it into my existing setup. If anything I can return it within the return window.