RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L: adding SATA-Ports, which actual expansion-cards are ok?

theunlucky

Hi,

after a change of address and a sudden but sure unneeded brakedown of a PC, I have/want/can expand my N54L.

I already filled up the HDD-Slots (1 x 3TB Seagate NAS, 1 x 1TB Hitatchi (ext.Drive-Surviver) and 2 x 650GB WD Green (PC-Survivers)

In the ODD-Slot I got a Backplane with 1 x SSD for System (via Bios-Mod) and 2 x 250GB-HDD (via ext. SATA).

NO PCIe-Slot used yet...

So I got space for (at least) two more HDD, and I wanna use them :)

I'll stay with OpenMediavault (running on Wheezy), RAID is not needed (I'll go RAID with the "Big Ones" after reorganizing my "Data-Structure" (and changing HDD's, think the Hitatchi is next...); I also don't want to boot from the expansion-cards...

I did a lot of search, but found all mentioned SATA-expansion-cards to be either discontinued or costing more than an additional Gen8...

Now, the Question is: which of the actual expansion-cards will work?

Would some "cheap delock"-thingys do the trick already?

Thanks for any hint & advice!

the unlucky

Edited by theunlucky

I bought one of these (got it on sale for $20, but even at $32 it's not bad):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064

I use it for my icydock 4 bay (2.5") dock in the ODD port.  I have a SSD attached to the top of it for a boot disk.

I've read about lots of people that use the HP P410 controller if you want raid...

Edited by jsawhite

Thanks for the link, unfortunatly I'll have to find a local store as delivery-costs from newegg to me would be ...a bit too high ;) (just found out they don't deliver to my location anyway) But $32 is no bad price...

Q: you did install the SSD ON the icydock? How would this work?

Edited by theunlucky

Thanks for the link, unfortunatly I'll have to find a local store as delivery-costs from newegg to me would be ...a bit too high ;) (just found out they don't deliver to my location anyway) But $32 is no bad price...

Q: you did install the SSD ON the icydock? How would this work?

What about Amazon or ebay (international if you're not in US)?

Yes, I have it taped down on top of the icy dock...  It's a 120G SSD completely encased in plastic (no circuit board visible), so I just used a little bit of double sided tape to stick it down to the top of the dock...  not pretty, but quite functional (and cheap)  :)

Shipping to Switzerland is quiet expensive, even from amazon...So there's hardly a choice (except "cheap SATA-controllers" (like delock-things) would do the trick as they are available almost everywhere around the corner)... But I'll find a store (or a solution for the delivery, that is)... No (immediate) issue at the moment...

Taping it down - sounds resonable... Is there enough space between SSD and upper casing of the N54?