RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Projector For Elementary Age Student AKA SmartBoard alternative

awraynor

My 1st grader is enamored of the SmartBoard in his classroom. For those beyond that time in their life it's a whiteboard

with PC/Stylus integration. I love my son, but it's well beyond the budget for his playroom at home.

I found this to be quite interesting, but still, $550 for a 7-year old is a bit much. http://www.touchjet.com/pond/

I tried an inexpensive LED projector, but I got what I paid for. HDMI input and more, but the fan was

loud and the brightness was quite poor.  http://www.amazon.com/ERISAN-Updated-Portable-Theater-Projector/dp/B017CPJMWM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451072586&sr=1-1&keywords=erisan+updated

I'm now looking for a reasonably priced projector that's good enough PowerPoint and web playback. PP for a 7-year old is odd, but he 

has imprinted upon his teacher which isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

Their playroom is fairly bright so I favor brightness in favor of HD or greater quality. Size isn't that big of a deal.

A machine that doesn't require cool down would be great as he loves to just turn it off.

I know BSR and kylejwilcox work in education so hopefully they can also help.

I wouldn't be opposed to a good E-Bay deal either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Westinghouse WB55F1D1 55" Full-HD LED Interactive Touchscreen Whiteboard Display $1299.99

http://computers.woot.com/offers/westinghouse-55-full-hd-interactive-whiteboard-1?ref=cp_cnt_wp_7_4

Westinghouse WB84U1D1 84" 4K Ultra-HD LED Interactive Touchscreen Whiteboard Display $3600.00

http://computers.woot.com/offers/westinghouse-84-4k-ultra-hd-interactive-whiteboard-1?ref=cp_cnt_wp_7_1

Umh, not sure the finance committee is going to let that fly. 

Since he kept watching YouTube when we told him to stop wife said no projector for now.

He has to use the AIO you linked to earlier in the den where we can keep an eye on him.

It really stinks some people get their kicks cursing in the middle of videos supposedly 

directed at  young kids. 

• 3 weeks later...

Umh, not sure the finance committee is going to let that fly. 

Since he kept watching YouTube when we told him to stop wife said no projector for now.

He has to use the AIO you linked to earlier in the den where we can keep an eye on him.

It really stinks some people get their kicks cursing in the middle of videos supposedly 

directed at  young kids. 

I can relate to your YouTube problem.  I have a 9 year old son that is very good at searching YouTube.  He has found cartoon / animation that he likes but some of the language is not appropriate.  My MAJOR problem with this is my son scripts (because of his Autism).  He can memorize the things he hears instantly and then just spits it out (scripts) at random times.  The latest issue was he learned the phrase "That is B#ll $H*T".  This doesn't go over so well at school.

I have done multiple things at my house.

1. I removed YouTube from his iPad.  Unfortunately he knows how to use Safari to search for YouTube videos.

2. I installed YTKids which has content that is prescreened as appropriate for kids.  You have to be careful though because if you leave suggestions turned on it can lead the kids to content that isn't screened.

3. I bought Circle (Dave reviewed it).  I can shut down YouTube or his entire internet access instantly.  I also use it to turn off devices at bed time and it can set daily time limits.  You do have to remember that Circle is applying rules based on device and not by user.  So if you share an ipad between two kids and an adult then the filter, time limit, etc applies to everyone.

Kind of off topic for the smartboard question.  If you find some other way to filter YouTube please let me know.  Its actually a tough one in our house because there are good videos on there that my son enjoys and can learn from but there is also a ton of garbage I never want him to see.

Oh the projector problem. I sent the other one back due to poor brightness and noise of the fan. The Touchjet Pond projector

was $150 off yesteray, but when I came back to it in the afternoon the sale was finished.

As far as YouTube we have the same problem. We are also using YouTube kids, but like yours, kids are so smart nowadays

they figure out things so easily. Mine as well repeat what they hear so boy are we careful about what we say around them. 

I know we can't isolate them forever, but we're sure giving it a try.