RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MOBO Compatibility

skipcox

I have a Supermicro X7DCA-L mobo of which I would like to run win serv 2012 R2 Essentials. Supermicro says it only compatible with win serv 2008 64 bit. Would there be a workaround to make it work?

Does Supermicro say it won't run 2012 R2 E or is it just not included in the list.

I would guess there is no mention of 2012 R2 E because it was not released when the compatibility chart was compiled.

R2 was released after Server 2008. My guess is the manufacturer hasn't updated their documentation, as mentioned above.

Supermicro is pretty bad about adding support for newer OS's.  It's hard to tell if it will actually support 2012R2. Essentials or otherwise.

However, you can grab the eval version and test it out (it can be upgraded to an OEM key later on).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials

Supermicro is pretty bad about adding support for newer OS's. It's hard to tell if it will actually support 2012R2. Essentials or otherwise.

However, you can grab the eval version and test it out (it can be upgraded to an OEM key later on).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials

Great idea!

You can also run through the specs page and check the parts to see they have Server 2012R2 drivers. Not a guarantee that they will work, but it can help you decide how to proceed.

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious - how would one know upon testing, for sure, if the OS would work on the board?  Is it just a matter of whether it installs and runs, or could there be hidden landmines later?  I ask because I've been running 2012 R2 on a pretty old Supermicro for a while. It has disk i/o speed problems, but I've always attributed that to the onboard RAID.

Is this normally a concern? I've played with lots of server OS over the years and never bothered to look at 'compat' lists...and never had a problem...

the only 'issue' I have run into is that later server OS requires 64-bit and it sounds like not an issue here... anyone else?

Just curious - how would one know upon testing, for sure, if the OS would work on the board?  Is it just a matter of whether it installs and runs, or could there be hidden landmines later?  I ask because I've been running 2012 R2 on a pretty old Supermicro for a while. It has disk i/o speed problems, but I've always attributed that to the onboard RAID.

As a consumer/user? 

Stress test the network, disks, memory, cpu and video. 

Aside from that .... there isn't really anything else you can test, aside from using it.

That said, the Windows Driver developement stuff has some advanced testing tools. But these aren't meant for average users.