RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
C4Tech

HP EX490 Brain Transplant

C4Tech

I'm getting ready to upgrade the processor in my EX490 with a E5400. I know Diehard and others have successfully performed this feat, and others have failed.

Are there any tips or suggestions that will help me avoid the pitfalls and successfully replace my server's "brain"?

Also, should I use the heatsink which came with the processor or the one in the HP box?

Thanks for any suggestions.......brian

diehard

I'm getting ready to upgrade the processor in my EX490 with a E5400. I know Diehard and others have successfully performed this feat, and others have failed.

Are there any tips or suggestions that will help me avoid the pitfalls and successfully replace my server's "brain"?

Also, should I use the heatsink which came with the processor or the one in the HP box?

Thanks for any suggestions.......brian

The best place that covers all the details is this thread over at MediaSmartServer.net http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5512&hilit=upgrade+ex490+cpu

You will have to use HP heatsink. It's the only one that will fit. As for the CPU, don't get anything over 65 watts. Changing my CPU was easy. The difference was night and day when transcoding using HP's Video Conversion software, so the E5400 is a good choice.

Use Artic Silver for the CPU paste.

If you have the cash, maybe change the 2 gig for a 4 gig stick. You will only get to use 3.2 gig of it because the OS is 32bit. But this is an extra.

Let me know how it goes.

C4Tech

Thanks Diehard!

I checked out the webpage and there are some great photos of the disassembly process.

I'll let you know how it goes.......brian

P.S. It's great to have a fellow Canadian on the podcast!

|*|

King_of_Mars

@c4tech

I upgraded my ex485 from a celron to a e5200, but I was only able to do so by using a rom flashing trick. The trick should be documented in that link that diehard gave you. Of couse you probably won't have to go that far, since the ex490 series sells at retail with celrons and dualcores.

I would recommend upgrading the ram while you are in there, because it's pain to disassemble a HP media smart server.

Dave

Hey C4,

Take some photos and write it up and I'll publish it as a blog post. If you have the time.

C4Tech

Well this morning I successfully replaced the CPU on my EX490. Everything went very smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised the CPU didn't have pins!

My 'new' server is not running a few degrees cooler than the old Celeron. Thanks for you help.

Dave....Since there are instructions on other sites on how to do the CPU replacement, does it still make sense to create one on this site too?

I did take photos and could probably find time to write a short step-by-step article. Let me know what you think......brian

Mr_Smartepants

I just replaced the CPU in my EX490 with an E5200 I picked up on ebay for about $40.

DieHard is right...the difference is night and day! :)

Though I had to restart it twice to get the performance tab on the task manager (type 'taskmgr' from the Run command).

But once that was done, VERY snappy response times by comparison.

Temps are in the 40's C. But I'm hoping they'll lower once the ArcticSilver gets broken in.

axoid

I did the upgrade about a month ago, putting a E5800 in my EX490. I also upped the ram.

The 490 didn't like me changing CPU and memory at the same time. So I ended up pulling the box apart several times, doing the CPU first and then the ram in a second step. I also had to reboot the 490 a couple of times after the final reassembly to get everything settled.

Since then it's been working happily even with me having it continually crunching on transcoding HD video.

Mr_Smartepants

Though I had to restart it twice to get the performance tab on the task manager (type 'taskmgr' from the Run command)to show both CPU cores.

Guess I should finish my sentences eh?

Why can't we edit our posts? Very odd.

Mr_Smartepants

Temps are in the 40's C. But I'm hoping they'll lower once the ArcticSilver gets broken in.

Temps are holding steady at 37 C during a backup. I should have done this a long time ago!

Edited by Mr_Smartepants