RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Sophos UTM Version 9.352-6 and 9.318-5 released (Do not install!)

nrf

it's fine until you hit flow monitor :).

Edited by nrf

pcdoc

It a strategy to get everyone to move to XG....

nrf

I rolled it back, I really like my morning graphs. Then I moved from a 3ghz pentium 4 to my 'old'  N40L and it performs much better.

FWIW  I tossed my trial of XG :)

itGeeks

I rolled it back, I really like my morning graphs. Then I moved from a 3ghz pentium 4 to my 'old'  N40L and it performs much better.

FWIW  I tossed my trial of XG :)

I am still using XG but eager to get the first round of firmware update due out in March now, The update got pushed from Jan-Feb. I can only hope there is some big change and that they document the changes for pete sake. No documents for whats changed drives me crazy.

pcdoc

I am still using XG but eager to get the first round of firmware update due out in March now, The update got pushed from Jan-Feb. I can only hope there is some big change and that they document the changes for pete sake. No documents for whats changed drives me crazy.

I am usually impatient waiting, but things have been running so well that I am in no big hurry.  The streaming thing will the biggest thing for most.  

itGeeks

I am usually impatient waiting, but things have been running so well that I am in no big hurry.  The streaming thing will the biggest thing for most.  

Mike I agree with you. Because of the lack of support with XG for home users is the very reason I am in the same camp as Schoondoggy. As much as I have enjoyed playing with Untangle, pfsence, Sophos I need to try and simplify my life with this stuff and find a solution that offers a nice balance of security & ease of use for the average user so my friends and family can be protected and self manage there networks and that's Y like schoondoggy I have pre-ordered several Luma's that's due to be out in March 2016, It promises security with ease of management so I am all over this product if it works as advertised. I have a very powerful network in place at home but there is noway one of my family members could take control of it if something should happen to me so I need to start thinking about them at my age. I may keep Sophos in my home lab for testing purposes but I need something simple and secure for the rest of my family should something ever happen to me. Luma seems like it may fit the bill and only time will tell. We have to understand Sophos is very much a business product and not geared for home use even though they give us home users access to it for free, That means things like Netflix and gaming consoles are not a concern for them and based on there passed they will never fix this kind of stuff so there will always be hoops that we need to cross to get this stuff working vs something like Luma that is geared for home users that support the very insecure UPnP for gaming consoles and streaming services like Netflix.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the power of my network and the way I have it setup. The power of Open-Mesh access points are hard to beat but I need to start simplifying my network so if a device like Luma can perform & protect and be simple to use for all my family then that will be what replaces Sophos in my home.

Edited by itGeeks

nrf

I have pre-ordered several Luma's that's due to be out in March 2016, It promises security with ease of management so I am all over this product if it works as advertised

that is the key point - if it does come out and it does perform as promised..

products do not always measure up to their hype.

Poppapete

No way is it going to have the virus or email filtering capabilities of Untangle, pfsense or Sophos let alone the $$$ required for updating. It is not a UTM or am I wrong?

I remember paying $300 per annum for antivirus on Untangle and changed to sophos because it was free.  It was free because all the commercial users are paying for it big time.

itGeeks

No way is it going to have the virus or email filtering capabilities of Untangle, pfsense or Sophos let alone the $$$ required for updating. It is not a UTM or am I wrong?

I remember paying $300 per annum for antivirus on Untangle and changed to sophos because it was free.  It was free because all the commercial users are paying for it big time.

Did you see this by any chance? http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=201632

I think this little unit is going to pack more of a punch then one would think.

that is the key point - if it does come out and it does perform as promised..

products do not always measure up to their hype.

Right and if it does not perform as promised then it get returned, The joys of return policy's.