RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Who else is wanting native CrashPlan support on Synology NAS boxes?

itGeeks

As the title goes, who else wants native CrashPlan backup support on Synology NAS boxes? I know I do. I have invested heavy in Synology, I have spent around 5000.00 in there hardware for myself as well as family and friends and as a big fan of CrashPlan with an unlimited plan for one device I would like nothing more the native support for CrashPlan on Synology. There is a community package for CrashPlan on Synology but to be honest it brakes every time you turn around and its not as elegant as a supported package from Synology. I am asking everyone in this community that uses Synology and also a CrashPlan user to submit a feature request to Synology asking for NATIVE support for CrashPlan. Copy the link below to email the request for a native package for CrashPlan. Thank you. http://features@synology.com

I'm waiting until after Christmas to setup my QNAP box which has CrashPlan. I just hope it is less of a resource hog than

it is on my desktop where it uses 2.5GB of RAM.

I'm waiting until after Christmas to setup my QNAP box which has CrashPlan. I just hope it is less of a resource hog than

it is on my desktop where it uses 2.5GB of RAM.

Your not streaming Plex with that shiny new QNAP yet? lol  :)

All kidding aside, I don't think I would worry to much about the RAM usage of CrashPlan even if it does use 2GB of RAM, The RAM usage in CrashPlan is dictated by the backup size, You can tweak the RAM usage in the config file but that's how it works. These QNAP's support 8GB of RAM documented but they will support to 16GB undocumented. I would install the 8GB out of the gate if your not going to run any VMs but I would go all out with 16GB if your going to run a VM on QNAP.

Did you decide on hard drives yet? I would go with those white label WD drives, That's a great price for those drives. I don't know if you saw my post by I did contact GoHardDrive and those 5TB drives are in fact the WD Reds with factory firmware. Just keep in mind the 1 year warranty from the seller, I do see though when you purchase the drive there is an option for like 20.00 more to get a 3 year warranty from "Square Trade". That's still a great price.

4TB WD RE White Label   http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4TB-64MB-Cache-7200RPM-Enterprise-Grade-SATA-6-0Gb-s-3-5-Hard-Drive-/160970197779?hash=item257a924b13:g:7SEAAMXQ9u1RELXD&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

5TB WD Red White Label http://www.ebay.com/itm/5TB-64MB-Cache-5700RPM-SATA-III-6-0Gb-s-3-5-Desktop-Hard-Drive-FREE-SHIPPING-/151631662151?

6TB WD Red White Label http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/171734401629

Thank you Schoondoggy for this great lead to the cost savings on these drives :)

Funny about that. It's still in the box waiting for me to open it up on Christmas. I just ordered the 8GB of RAM and 

want to install it all at the same time.

On E-Bay I offered $99 per 4TB Drive x 4. Their counteroffer was full price or no drive. I bought 4x4TB Red off of

NewEgg on special. 

Back to your original post. Is is CrashPlan or the manufacturer that will write the CrashPlan app for the Synology box?

I believe the developer (in this case CrashPlan/Code42) write the app, but with support from Synology who ultimately sign it and put it on their app store

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the developer (in this case CrashPlan/Code42) write the app, but with support from Synology who ultimately sign it and put it on their app store

ShadowPeo based on your post here and as much as it seem to make sence I contacted Code42 the makers of CrashPlan and to my amazement below is the response I got back.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Code42 support!

We do not support running CrashPlan on a NAS device, and I don't know of any plans to officially support this in the future. If you'd like, you can submit this as a feature request in our feature request forum:

Our product development team uses this forum to determine future improvements to the CrashPlan for Home product. If the feature you'd like to see is already listed, please add a comment to indicate your support. If you do not see this request, create a new post and provide us with your suggestion.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

-Bett

So what gives with this response from Code42? QNAP has a CrashPlan app that from the looks of it one would think its a native CrashPlan app but I guess not. Did QNAP develop this app? Probably not. Is the developer of the CrashPlan app the same developer that has the app for Synology but is listed as a community app instead of being in the Synology store? This seems to make more sense, Maybe this 3rd party developer was able to strike a deal with QNAP so it looks like a native CrashPlan app because its in the QNAP application store but was unsuccessful getting Synology on board with the same.

I also submitted a feature request to Synology back on 12/19/2015 but still have got no response from Synology on this, This is no surprise as several of my feature request over the years go unanswered. I love Synology and I have a major investment in the company but unanswered questions just tick me off.

So what do you all think about this?

Edited by itGeeks

ShadowPeo based on your post here and as much as it seem to make sence I contacted Code42 the makers of CrashPlan and to my amazement below is the response I got back.

Sorry mate; I should have perhaps been a little clearer, I was responding to awraynor's comment (quoted below). From what I understand for the official Synology "App Store" the "official" developer (i.e. Plex in the case of Plex, Docker in the case of Docker etc) develops and maintains the application and Synology simply "publishes" it in the App Store (same way the Apple and Google App Stores work). Therefore IF an official one was to be done, that Code42 would have to develop it, and Synology sign it off.

In the case of the SynoCommunity one, I have a vague recollection of an article either written by or about the author of the plugin where he states that there were "legal issues" around the app which means that each time it is updated or alike it has to be downloaded and installed from Crashplan directly, and essentially what he has done is write a "wrapper" that installs and configures it on the Synology (yes an over simplification perhaps)

Back to your original post. Is is CrashPlan or the manufacturer that will write the CrashPlan app for the Synology box?