RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thanks for all the great info on the T20... my unit info

SpartaTodd

I joined to thank everyone for posting so much great info. I took advantage of the great deal a few weeks ago and got this nice little package but then ran into lots of questions about how to upgrade it. Here is my unit now:

Dell T20

20 GB ECC Memory@1600 - original 4 GB Hynix and 2 x Kingston KTD-PE316ELV/8G

E3-1271v3 Haswell - PC Mark usually around 10450-10520

EVGA GTX 780ti  (from previous computer)

Seasonic x750 gold (from previous computer)

added 120mm coolermaster case fan

did some case modding with oscillating multi tool

256 GB Crucial M4 boot drive  (from previous computer)

512 GB Samsung 830 steam drive  (from previous computer)

5TB WD Black  (from previous computer)

12mm optical DVD drive

Windows 7

BIOS A06 (came with the latest)

I have to run a fast video card as I have 2 monitors on this, a 1440p and a 1080p in portrait for viewing web and docs while working. I did this post from the unit.

I got the moddiy cable for the psu, cut the disk bay to fit the GTX. This little guy is now rocking and rolling. Excuse how messy the cables are but not much room in there! I don't know how to insert an image but I attached a pic here. Thanks again everyone!

IMG_9681.JPG

Edited by SpartaTodd
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Checking in with Update:

Upgraded to Windows10 Pro and added another 4GB module of the original Hynix memory for 24 GB now. Still going strong... Nice desktop unit. Found out the hard way about it not doing sleep but hibernate is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in with Update:

Upgraded to Windows10 Pro and added another 4GB module of the original Hynix memory for 24 GB now. Still going strong... Nice desktop unit. Found out the hard way about it not doing sleep but hibernate is fine.

Hi spartatodd,

Thanks for the picture of the upgrade and followup. Did you wire the extra fan to the other dell case fan connector with a y cable or did you wire it separately with a molex supply (i forget if there is a molex connector on this dell).

thanks

I took the easy way out. I just used a power molex and I have the fan running all the time. No speed control. It's a nice quiet fan and my video card is way noisier anyway so no biggie. The molex is off the regular PSU I added. FYI, there was no way to really mount the fan as its a regular 120mm so I just tie-wrapped it in. It barely fit.

Edited by SpartaTodd
  • Like 1

I took the easy way out. I just used a power molex and I have the fan running all the time. No speed control. It's a nice quiet fan and my video card is way noisier anyway so no biggie. The molex is off the regular PSU I added. FYI, there was no way to really mount the fan as its a regular 120mm so I just tie-wrapped it in. It barely fit.

Thanks for that real quick reply!! I may do just that by putting a fan in the front case and then power it from the sata connection (i dont see a free molex on the provided PSU) using one of those sata to molex adaptors. Other option would be to use a convertor to deal with that dell proprietary connector and replace the current fan with say a noctua...All i am trying to do is lower the temperature of my HGST 5900 rpm hard drives which run 37-39C. Thanks

FYI did the same. Attached a 120mm 1inch 3 speed antec case fan inside the case just above the existing lower cage. Fits snug. Also ziptied it. Am testing on medium speed. The lower cage drives are now certainly cooler (previously 39 now 32), not so much upper cage/dvd drives... Oh and i used a sata to molex adaptor (actually this was probably meant to power two sata devices from a molex but i am using it in the reverse fashion powering the molex) to power the fan.

IMG_1514.JPGIMG_1513.JPG

Clearly this wont work for those using an extra hard drive cage. also there isnt much space outside the front of the case for standard fan thickness, so may have to measure and get an extra thin fan. Looks like stiggler is using a thin case fan from his pics ?12 mm

I wanted to put the fan in front also and then realized it was WAY too thick. It's fine for me. I am not anal about my case internals and everything works fine.

I wanted to put the fan in front also and then realized it was WAY too thick. It's fine for me. I am not anal about my case internals and everything works fine.

I mentioned that more for those forum members who are putting an extra second (actually third) cage where the fan currently sits. That would necessitate a different location for the fan.

The fan is currently doing a great job for the lower hard drives but the top cage ones are again getting hot! May have to streamline some of those wires or push the fan to full speed at the cost of noise.

Edited by asdaHP