RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Move ML10v2 into a new case

pant09

I just bought a ML10 v2 Entry and it looks like a nice little server. I will probably use it for backup and need a lot of hard disk space.

Do you think it is possible to move the PSU, motherboard and everything into a regular bigger case?

I have a big tower case with plenty of space and a Pcie raid controller card so it would be perfect if its doable.

I have not had the time to look how the motherboard and Psu are mounted. Is it standard dimensions etc?

Any suggestions? All help are appreciated. Thanks. 

IMHO, If it were me, I would use the ML10 V2 as is or I would buy a new motherboard and power supply for your other case.

Even if the HP parts fit in the other case, you will have voided the warranty and will not get support from HP.

What model is your other case?

• Like 1

The motherboard looks reasonably standard and has a removeable I/O plate but you'll need to measure the mounting holes to confirm. Your main issues will be that the connection to the front panel i.e. LEDs + buttons is a single connector that isn't documented and that you'll need to swap out the CPU heatsink since it relies on the custom plastic duct.

As schoondoggy said, it would be much better to just get a standard PC motherboard and not try to wedge the ML10v2 motherboard into another case.

• Like 1

It's a standard uATX board.  The CPU cooler mounting holes look different to standard, though, and the HP cooler screws to the backplate of the case.  The front panel connections are propriety, too.

• Like 1