RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MS Gen 8 too noisy for living room

artiom

Hello all,

I mostly read this forum and rarely post, but now I encountered an issue and I'm interested to receive your opinion about my current situation.

I have a HP Microserver Gen8, with CPU ugpraded to Xeon 1265L v2 and 16GB RAM.

Until now the server was running on one single HDD, but recently I got a bunch of assorted HDDs for free, so I stuffed additional 3 into the server and migrated the OS (Hyper-V server) to an USB drive.

The problem is that the server cooler started to run at much higher speeds (was up to 15%, and now it runs ~50%) which makes it too noisy for a living room.

I did not notice any differences in temperatures - they are about the same and the server currently is idling.

There are few possible solutions:

1. upgrade the cooling:

- glue some copper heatsinks on open chips (there is info about this on the forum)

- add a small cooler on CPU heatsink (there is a lot of info about this as well)

would this make it more silent? personally for me it's noise level is acceptable up to 25% of main cooler speed.

2. move the server elsewhere - I have a small closet in the house, but there isn't much airflow, it may become even noisier

3. sell it and buy something else (Dell outlet has really good deals for T110 II and T320) - a bigger server may be more "future-proof" and easier to mod. Anyway it may be noisy and will require a separate room :(

What is your experience on managing servers in home environment?

Is it reasonable to keep it in the living room? How do you cope with its noise?

Thank you for reading :)

2 possibilities:

- One of the drives you've added is incompatible with the temperature reporting that feeds into the ILO, and is causing the fan to go high as a safety precaution. Take out one drive at a time and you should be able to identify which one is causing the issue. This is a known problem with the Gen8.

- You are hammering the CPU constantly, causing CPU temperature to rise, thus higher fan speed.

• Like 1

- One of the drives you've added is incompatible with the temperature reporting that feeds into the ILO, and is causing the fan to go high as a safety precaution. Take out one drive at a time and you should be able to identify which one is causing the issue. This is a known problem with the Gen8.

I did not knew about this, thank you for the tip. Will try that out.

The CPU stays idle and its temperature is not a concern at the moment.

I checked how server works with and without hard drives and it proves that @rotor is right:

Here are the models I verified:

- Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB ST2000DL003 - ok
 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB ST3750630AS - noisy (2 HDDs verified)
 - Hitachi Deskstar 320GB HDP725032GLA360 - ok (2 HDDs verified)
 - Seagate Barracuda ES 250GB ST3250620NS - ok

I ended up with the following HDD config: 2000 + 320 + 320 + 250 GB and the system fan is at 6%

Unfortunately, I can't use the 750GB drives as with one of them the fan stays at 22% and with both of them fan stays at 46% which is too noisy for my environment.

• Like 2

I checked how server works with and without hard drives and it proves that @rotor is right:

Here are the models I verified:

- Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB ST2000DL003 - ok

- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB ST3750630AS - noisy (2 HDDs verified)

- Hitachi Deskstar 320GB HDP725032GLA360 - ok (2 HDDs verified)

- Seagate Barracuda ES 250GB ST3250620NS - ok

I ended up with the following HDD config: 2000 + 320 + 320 + 250 GB and the system fan is at 6%

Unfortunately, I can't use the 750GB drives as with one of them the fan stays at 22% and with both of them fan stays at 46% which is too noisy for my environment.

That is brilliant news. I mean not great that you can't use some of the drives, but excellent that you know the source of the problem!

• Like 1

That is brilliant news. I mean not great that you can't use some of the drives, but excellent that you know the source of the problem!

... and you pointed me in the right direction ;)

thank you

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Great news artiom, and thanks to rotor for identifying the problem, I'm sure this will be a great help to others :-)

Edited by E3000