RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Audio Video Cabinet Home Theater

King_of_Mars

Hi all. I just wanted to post so pictures of my home theater setup.

As you can see I have an audio video cabinet with a HP slim case, FiOS DVR, HP EX485, xbox, wii, ziotek dvd changer, gigbit router, fios wireless router, and APC UPS.

P8190264.JPG

Here is a slightly closer image

P8190266.JPG

I did my best to manage the wiring on the back. I used a lot of Velcro ties to try and keep the system orderly, but there are still a lot of cables going everywhere.

P8190269.JPG

Here is a picture of what I use to control the system. I have a xbox remote, a nMeida wireless keyboard/mouse combo, and a nMedia media center remote. It's not perfect but it does in a pinch.

P8190270.JPG

I am still updating my system. I have a Ceton Infinitv 4 cable card tuner, but I have to wait until the 30th before Verizon can install the card. I also plan on getting rid of the router provided by by VZ, and using the netgear router more. Of course the DVR will be gone when the cable card comes.

Nice setup. What are the specs on the HP? And are those holes in the back of the AV cabinet? If so, why not use them to route the wires? How do you like that nMedia combo?

Please post a review of the InfiniTV 4 when you get it hooked up! :)

Nice setup. What are the specs on the HP? And are those holes in the back of the AV cabinet? If so, why not use them to route the wires? How do you like that nMedia combo?

Please post a review of the InfiniTV 4 when you get it hooked up! :)

The little black holes on the back are actually Velcro disks. The cabinet came with some cloth that can be placed over the back. It also came with little Velcro disks that don't stick well to the cloth. That's the only thing I don't like about the cabinet.

I got the HP as a combo deal from best buy. It came with a netbook, laptop, and desktop. The desktop has a e5200, running at 2.5GHz with 3 gigs of ram. I got that because I wanted to upgrade my ex485 from a celeron to an e5200, and I wasn't sure if newegg had sent me a bad proc. It turns out both procs were good, and I needed to do some firmware hacking to get the e5200 working in the ex485.

Back to the HP desktop, I also upgraded the machine a little. I added a blu-ray drive, and added a radeon 5450 for direct X 11 and hdmi output. I had just enough room to add the ceton tuner and not much else.

The nMedia combo is good but not great. It has a weird quirk that causes the number pad function to be on by default. In order to sync the keyboard, you have to press the function key and the id key, instead of just the id key. It also goes to sleep way to easily. The trackball on the remote is a little loose, and will move when you pick up the remote. Plus the track ball is a little too large.

But on the plus side, it's not too expensive on newegg(don't forget to use the homeservershow sponsor links). The button layout is pretty good, with a scroll wheel under the left index, and the left mouse under the right index. The left thumb rests over the a left and right mouse button, while the right thumb controls the trackball. I haven't had any problem with the range on either remote, so I'm pretty happy about that.

I'll be sure and let you know how the ceton tuner works out when the cable card is installed.