RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma WiFi, Security and eero

schoondoggy

Could I plug a Luma into a 24 port switch to create a second network.  So modem > router > switch > luma

I am not sure how it would handle cascaded routing. Depending on the routers you can run into NAT and DHCP issues. I plan to run Luma for my home network and Sophos for my lab network. I would like to get a second IP from my ISP so that the two networks would be totally separate, but it sounds like that will push me into business class service $$$. I need to check with Luma support on cascaded routers.

I am not sure how it would handle cascaded routing. Depending on the routers you can run into NAT and DHCP issues. I plan to run Luma for my home network and Sophos for my lab network. I would like to get a second IP from my ISP so that the two networks would be totally separate, but it sounds like that will push me into business class service $$$. I need to check with Luma support on cascaded routers.

I suppose a lot of the questions posed here will not be answered until you guys start to use the device(s). I purchased a Business Package from my ISP (here in Australia) so that I would have 1. A fixed external IP and 2. A higher speed.  Part of the deal is that I get an additional 4 IP's /29 as a framed block giving me I was told 2 extra user IP's that I could assign internally.  I have concluded that they are only of use to access specific devices internally from an external site. I have never worked out how to use them or if they are of any benefit to me personally in my situation which is I never access my LAN from an external site these days since I have retired.

That's an interesting question and I to would love to know the answer when you get it. Sure would be great if we could keep our existing routers in place and just use the security/WiFi of Luma. I wonder if we could use Luma as our router to get all the security it offers but use something like Open-Mesh for the WiFi? I would think this setup would work and we have the best of both worlds. :)

That's an interesting question and I to would love to know the answer when you get it. Sure would be great if we could keep our existing routers in place and just use the security/WiFi of Luma. I wonder if we could use Luma as our router to get all the security it offers but use something like Open-Mesh for the WiFi? I would think this setup would work and we have the best of both worlds. :)

I will let you know what they say. You could use other WAP with Luma, but I doubt that they would mesh with it. If you want to keep your existing router and Wi-Fi, you could look at Circle for the content management and filtering.

I suppose a lot of the questions posed here will not be answered until you guys start to use the device(s). I purchased a Business Package from my ISP (here in Australia) so that I would have 1. A fixed external IP and 2. A higher speed.  Part of the deal is that I get an additional 4 IP's /29 as a framed block giving me I was told 2 extra user IP's that I could assign internally.  I have concluded that they are only of use to access specific devices internally from an external site. I have never worked out how to use them or if they are of any benefit to me personally in my situation which is I never access my LAN from an external site these days since I have retired.

Networking is not my strength, but If your modem gives you two IP facing in you should be able to assign a router/firewall to each and have two totally separate networks.

Router1

Modem-Switch

Router2   

Check with your ISP to see if that would work. I guess I am assuming you are trying to get two separate networks?

Don't see why that wouldn't work and would be a good way to get around some of Luma's launch shortcomings. I should be getting a few eero's by the end of the month (or so they claim) and it will be nice to finally get hands on with some of these things to test the viability of these different scenarios and setups.

Edited by JoseROrtiz

I will let you know what they say. You could use other WAP with Luma, but I doubt that they would mesh with it. If you want to keep your existing router and Wi-Fi, you could look at Circle for the content management and filtering.

Thanks for the info. I don't think the two systems would mesh either and we would also loose the options of adding users to our network threw the Luma app. Good point about using Circle if we wanted to keep our existing hardware. March is coming fast, Wonder if Luma will release on time? Hope to god its not another Eero with multiple missed deadlines.

Don't see why that wouldn't work and would be a good way to get around some of Luma's launch shortcomings. I should be getting a few eero's by the end of the month (or so they claim) and it will be nice to finally get hands on with some of these things to test the viability of these different scenarios and setups.

True. Good luck with getting Eero this month. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the info. I don't think the two systems would mesh either and we would also loose the options of adding users to our network threw the Luma app. Good point about using Circle if we wanted to keep our existing hardware. March is coming fast, Wonder if Luma will release on time? Hope to god its not another Eero with multiple missed deadlines.

True. Good luck with getting Eero this month. Keep us posted.

Luma said they would ship Spring of 2016. That gives them until June 20, 2016, before they would be late.

Some router/firewalls do not like to be behind other router/firewalls.

Luma said they would ship Spring of 2016. That gives them until June 20, 2016, before they would be late.

Some router/firewalls do not like to be behind other router/firewalls.

Luma had said March at one point I thought but the fact that they are still allowing us to pre-order is very telling we have a wait yet.

• Like 1

Just got the e-mail from Luma (as I'm sure you all did) where they say they're on target for spring delivery of pre-orders. Still no solid window though.