RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma WiFi, Security and eero

schoondoggy

Luma takes the place of your router. One of the Luma would be connected to your modem and it will act as the router. Adding other Luma creates a wireless mesh giving you better Wi-Fi coverage. At launch they will not support Ethernet backhaul, connecting each Luma back to a Ethernet connection.

Why would this not be the preferable way to connect them by using the ethernet backhaul.  I would think this would be featured right out of the gate.

Why would this not be the preferable way to connect them by using the ethernet backhaul. I would think this would be featured right out of the gate.

It is not the way they were designed to work.

Luma takes the place of your router. One of the Luma would be connected to your modem and it will act as the router. Adding other Luma creates a wireless mesh giving you better Wi-Fi coverage. At launch they will not support Ethernet backhaul, connecting each Luma back to a Ethernet connection.

As schoondoggy said Luma is designed to take the place of your existing router however if you have a router/modem combo (as I do) from your service provider and that needs to stay in place what you would do is connect Luma to your existing router on a DMZ and on a different subnet from the main router this would setup your internal clients on a different network and everything would work fine. Luma would now be the primary router for the new network. As far has the 'backhaul' from what I understand Luma will have a firmware update after release that should add this (we can only hope) This is how it should of been designed out of the box and I believe this is a big oversight. A system like this needs to be cable connection first mesh second for best performance. That's the way my Open-Mesh AP's work.

Edited by itGeeks

The target customer for Luma does not have an Ethernet switch and does not want to run Ethernet cables to each Luma. They are designing Luma to handle Wi-Fi work loads without Ethernet back-haul. Adding back haul just adds another feature to the product and helps it handle special use cases. Time will tell if Luma can handle home user Wi-Fi work loads without a Ethernet back bone. As we know Luma is not a WAP, so it does not require Ethernet connects to each Luma.  

I know most of you are ... allergic to Sophos, but maybe they would be an awesome solution for you. If you use multiple WAPs Sophos actually has great options. You don't have to configure them all independently. Your UTM will grab them and handle all of the heavy lifting. Check out their solutions.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialibrary/PDFs/factsheets/sophoswirelessprotectiondsna.pdf?la=en

So what your saying is, I would remove my telco modem, place the first luma in its place and plug the WAN cable port from my previous modem into the luma?  I didn't think this would work. I was under the assumption (as a novice) that I just had to have the first luma connected via ethernet to my telco router with the wifi and dhcp settings turned off.

So what your saying is, I would remove my telco modem, place the first luma in its place and plug the WAN cable port from my previous modem into the luma?  I didn't think this would work. I was under the assumption (as a novice) that I just had to have the first luma connected via ethernet to my telco router with the wifi and dhcp settings turned off.

No, you need the modem, the Luma replaces the router. If the device from your ISP is a modem/router then you would follow itGeeks advice above.

Has anyone gotten to try Luma out at a convention or tech event? I like the options, I am just sceptical about an Ethernet free device keeping up with my needs. It does look pretty, but I have a 3 &5 year old. I would rather attach something to the ceiling then risk them pick it up.

Has anyone gotten to try Luma out at a convention or tech event? I like the options, I am just sceptical about an Ethernet free device keeping up with my needs. It does look pretty, but I have a 3 &5 year old. I would rather attach something to the ceiling then risk them pick it up.

Dave met with them at CES. You can run wired devices with Luma and receive the same security features.

• Like 1