RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma WiFi, Security and eero

schoondoggy

The comparison I'm going to be doing is actually not related to range of a single device. It's a combination of network management and coverage. I understand that from a hardware standpoint they are not equal, but I think it's still a valid comparison since they are all mesh network products. Whether I need one device or ten devices to blanket my home is irrelevant to me, as long as it blankets it. The security aspect is secondary to me and to be honest, I'm not sure how much of those features I'd actually use. I understand that's what Luma is using to set itself apart but really I'm just looking for a good mesh router/ap solution first and foremost. I'm also looking for a good deal so even though Open Mesh seems to be a great fit for me, the deal I'm getting on the pre-order for both Luma and eero makes it a lot more affordable. I'll make my final decision once I have all three products in hand though.

Thanks for the update. I would be very interested in your test results. I believe its also going to come down to not only price but if your willing to replace your current router. Both eero & Luma want to be the router as well, With Open-Mesh your free to use your router in fact you must use your router with Open-Mesh. What I am saying is based on your not wanting the security of eero or Luma. If all your looking for is RAW speed and coverage I feel 'Open Mesh' is going to be hard to beat.

Edited by itGeeks

Thanks for the update. I would be very interested in your test results. I believe its also going to come down to not only price but if your willing to replace your current router. Both eero & Luma want to be the router as well, With Open-Mesh your free to use your router in fact you must use your router with Open-Mesh. What I am saying is based on your not wanting the security of eero or Luma. If all your looking for is RAW speed and coverage I feel 'Open Mesh' is going to be hard to beat.

From what I've seen and read, eero should be able to function fine behind my current router even though they obviously want to replace your router altogether. I think this is smart of them since there are some ISP provided routers that make it nearly impossible to be put into bridge mode. In regards to Open Mesh, I do get the sense that it would be exactly what I'm looking for except I don't really like the "Cloudtrax" software they have. That's a big reason why I gave up on Ubiquiti as well, I just didn't like the interface. I'm looking for a combination of coverage, management, and integration. I don't think any product is going to give me exactly what I'm looking for but I'm looking for the one that comes closest to it. 

Thanks for the update, This is all very interesting ansewers from Luma. I was hoping Luma was not directional but at least now we know. As for DDNS not supported on release date that's a bit disappointing however my NAS devices can handle that job & also give me an alert when the service is down. Talking about gaming consoles, I wonder if Luma has UPnP support? Now before anyone flames me on this, I am very much aware of the security risk of using UPnP at the gateway but some devices such as gaming consoles thrive for UPnP support or things don't work as expected. I personally don't use UPnP at the gateway and our gaming consoles work fine but we also don't host any games either and I heard that would be trouble without UPnP though I have not tested it.

I think gaming will be an interesting thing to keep on eye on with both eero and Luma. I don't expect it to affect me too much but might be something for gaming folks to consider.

From what I've seen and read, eero should be able to function fine behind my current router even though they obviously want to replace your router altogether. I think this is smart of them since there are some ISP provided routers that make it nearly impossible to be put into bridge mode. In regards to Open Mesh, I do get the sense that it would be exactly what I'm looking for except I don't really like the "Cloudtrax" software they have. That's a big reason why I gave up on Ubiquiti as well, I just didn't like the interface. I'm looking for a combination of coverage, management, and integration. I don't think any product is going to give me exactly what I'm looking for but I'm looking for the one that comes closest to it. 

I think gaming will be an interesting thing to keep on eye on with both eero and Luma. I don't expect it to affect me too much but might be something for gaming folks to consider.

I know what you mean about ISP provided routers, I have one such router Verizon FiOs. Spent a year on and off trying everything I found on the internet about putting FiOs behind my router and you can forget about it, Something breaks all the time. Just to be clear I have FiOs TV/Internet so its the TV that breaks, If I only hade FiOs internet this would of been easy.

I have great news for the gaming console people, Luma does support UPnP. I also just found out there seems to be a 3rd way to configure Luma, Read below.

Reply from Luma-

Thank you for your order!

Luma will support Universal Plug and Play, and choosing enabling/disabling will be easy from the Luma iOS/Android app or the Luma in-browser app!
Thanks again, and please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Luma in-browser app, That's very interesting.
Edited by itGeeks

Just got a response from Luma about the in-browser app and this is great news, See response below-

The Luma in-browser app allows for configuration of your Luma Surround WiFi system through any web browser (Chrome/Firefox are recommended)! Instructions on how to use the in-browser app will be included in your Luma Quick-Start guide.

I don't know about anyone else but I would much rather do the initial configuration threw a web browser and only use the iOS/Android app afterwords. This makes me a very happy camper. Now if I get that call from a family member saying there having trouble or need help I can continue to help them I like do now by using TeamViewer to login to one of there computers and use a web browser to login to there Luma and help them fix it. Very happy now :)
Edited by itGeeks

I know what you mean about ISP provided routers, I have one such router Verizon FiOs. Spent a year on and off trying everything I found on the internet about putting FiOs behind my router and you can forget about it, Something breaks all the time. Just to be clear I have FiOs TV/Internet so its the TV that breaks, If I only hade FiOs internet this would of been easy.

I have great news for the gaming console people, Luma does support UPnP. I also just found out there seems to be a 3rd way to configure Luma, Read below.

Reply from Luma-

Thank you for your order!

Luma will support Universal Plug and Play, and choosing enabling/disabling will be easy from the Luma iOS/Android app or the Luma in-browser app!

Luma in-browser app, That's very interesting.

I have FiOS as well and was able to have both the FiOS and my primary router running together successfully. First, I released the lease from the FiOS router and replaced it with my own router. Once my router successfully connected and obtained a new lease, I reserved an IP address for the FiOS router, and connected it from my router's LAN port to the FiOS router WAN port and DMZed the FiOS router's IP. This allows me to have my router as primary while still being able to get all the guide data and access to my FiOS STB with no issues.

Browser access to configure Luma is huge! it seemed like they were going to do all config via app only but very glad to see that they've added browser access. I hated the idea of having to do everything via an since I was also concerned about providing remote support/monitoring for my family. I'm also used to managing routers via a browser and my "get off my lawn" side of my brain didn't want to change haha. I think this is a good example of how much can be addressed between now and when the product launches which is why I haven't canceled my pre-order based on what features aren't there today.

Thanks for the update!

I have FiOS as well and was able to have both the FiOS and my primary router running together successfully. First, I released the lease from the FiOS router and replaced it with my own router. Once my router successfully connected and obtained a new lease, I reserved an IP address for the FiOS router, and connected it from my router's LAN port to the FiOS router WAN port and DMZed the FiOS router's IP. This allows me to have my router as primary while still being able to get all the guide data and access to my FiOS STB with no issues.

Browser access to configure Luma is huge! it seemed like they were going to do all config via app only but very glad to see that they've added browser access. I hated the idea of having to do everything via an since I was also concerned about providing remote support/monitoring for my family. I'm also used to managing routers via a browser and my "get off my lawn" side of my brain didn't want to change haha. I think this is a good example of how much can be addressed between now and when the product launches which is why I haven't canceled my pre-order based on what features aren't there today.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for providing your setup with FiOs, I guess I could of done that also but after several failed attempts and getting phone calls form the family that this is not working and that stop working I decided to stop fighting city hall and leave there router in front. Now that I know hanging FiOs of your routers DMZ I may change things. As for Luma I am very excited to try it out and see what it can do, When I Pre-ordered the 4 units I was not thinking in terms of using Luma to replace my Sophos but if it works well I may just do that. Sophos has been a lot of fun and there is no way anyone in my family would no what to do if something happened to me so I am looking for something with a nice balance of protection and ease of administration.

Edited by itGeeks

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any new news on the luma?  Seems the thread has come to a halt.  I have been reading it in anticipation for the release.......

Anyone have any new news on the luma?  Seems the thread has come to a halt.  I have been reading it in anticipation for the release.......

Nope I sure don't, Just waiting on the expected release of it in the Spring. I have four on pre-order and cant wait to test them. Did you pre-order any?

I did, not sure why, but I'm tired of having spotty internet downstairs and upstairs with two different SSID's.....don't ask.....

I did have a question though.  I am by no means an expert here and was hoping someone could clarify something in regards to the luma.  I had thought that the luma would just plug into an ethernet jack back to the "host" router provided by the telco, but I thought I read  on here that this would not be supported at launch?   If i'm making any sense, could someone elaborate on that?

Luma takes the place of your router. One of the Luma would be connected to your modem and it will act as the router. Adding other Luma creates a wireless mesh giving you better Wi-Fi coverage. At launch they will not support Ethernet backhaul, connecting each Luma back to a Ethernet connection.