RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma WiFi, Security and eero

schoondoggy

I pre-ordered two three packs; one white, one orange. The second three pack is intended for my parent's place which will probably need more like four or five of them to really cover them.

Wow, no bridging via ethernet? That is both surprising and disappointing. Having the Lumas connected via ethernet should be the primary method of connection with wireless bridging being used only in instances when a wired connection is not available. The eero no only functions this way, but the second ethernet port can be used in both wireless, and wired bridge mode. Luma might end up being too simple for my liking. Going to keep the pre-order and test it out but so far, raw hardware is the only thing that is beating out eero and Open Mesh.

I agree with you, This should of been the supported configuration out of the gate. Well at least we know there planing on adding it in the first update so that's good news. I think Luma will be a hit as long as the hype matches the performance & security but as schoondoggy said its not going to be perfect on release day.

All of this aside, From what i can tell this product is not designed with the power user in mind. This product is aimed at the none tech person wanting to protect there networks & kids. For the power user there are better options but then there are also trade offs.

Edited by itGeeks

I agree with you, This should of been the supported configuration out of the gate. Well at least we know there planing on adding it in the first update so that's good news. I think Luma will be a hit as long as the hype matches the performance & security but as schoondoggy said its not going to be perfect on release day.

All of this aside, From what i can tell this product is not designed with the power user in mind. This product is aimed at the none tech person wanting to protect there networks & kids. For the power user there are better options but then there are also trade offs.

Correct, we are not the target audience. I would bet the target Luma consumer does not own a Ethernet switch.

Correct, we are not the target audience. I would bet the target Luma consumer does not own a Ethernet switch.

Sad but I would not disagree with you either. I hope the customers pre-ordering this device know they need to purchase a separate GB switch if they don't already have one. Kevin I just places another order for a 3 pack in silver using your referral link so be on the lookout for your discount. I wish I had know you where going to place another order I could of given you my referral link unless you have someone link your using already?

Sad but I would not disagree with you either. I hope the customers pre-ordering this device know they need to purchase a separate GB switch if they don't already have one. Kevin I just places another order for a 3 pack in silver using your referral link so be on the lookout for your discount. I wish I had know you where going to place another order I could of given you my referral link unless you have someone link your using already?

I am confused why would they need a Gbit switch?

Sorry, I used Tony's referral link.

• Like 1

I pre-ordered two three packs; one white, one orange. The second three pack is intended for my parent's place which will probably need more like four or five of them to really cover them.

Wow, no bridging via ethernet? That is both surprising and disappointing. Having the Lumas connected via ethernet should be the primary method of connection with wireless bridging being used only in instances when a wired connection is not available. The eero no only functions this way, but the second ethernet port can be used in both wireless, and wired bridge mode. Luma might end up being too simple for my liking. Going to keep the pre-order and test it out but so far, raw hardware is the only thing that is beating out eero and Open Mesh.

Not at launch, but some time after. As I have said, the target customer is not the tech enthusiast. The average person interested in Luma probably doesn't own a switch. As I have said, my interest in Luma is to simplify my home network/security/monitoring. 

I am confused why would they need a Gbit switch?

Sorry, I used Tony's referral link.

Maybe I am the one that's confused then. How I understand it is Luma takes the place of your current router so I assume it also protects your wired clients and if so how would you connect your wired clients without a switch? Am I wrong in my way of thinking? Doesn't Luma protect the wired clients as well?

Thanks for the update on the referral link you used, No problem.

Edited by itGeeks

Maybe I am the one that's confused then. How I understand it is Luma takes the place of your current router so I assume it also protects your wired clients and if so how would you connect your wired clients without a switch? Am I wrong in my way of thinking? Doesn't Luma protect the wired clients as well?

Thanks for the update on the referral link you used, No problem.

Luma does protect wired clients as well. You would either need a switch or they could plug into a Luma device. A switch is not required for Luma to work. The target customer for Luma probably only has one network cable, modem to router.

How does Luma make my network more secure?

Luma can identify if there are devices on your network with weak passwords and can alert you if it detects that a computer is infected with malicious software.

Eh? Unless the Luma boxes constantly try to bruteforce your machines, I don't see how it could alert you to weak passwords.

Luma does protect wired clients as well. You would either need a switch or they could plug into a Luma device. A switch is not required for Luma to work. The target customer for Luma probably only has one network cable, modem to router.

Kevin I was only responding to your confusion about Y someone would need a GB switch, Your response got me worried as I did not think Luma would protect the wired clients. I am glad that is not the case, I believe your response comes from the side of a house holds that only has wireless devices these days but yes if you have wired clients then yes they need to purchase a GB switch if they don't already have one because Luma only has one LAN port. Thanks for clearing this up. My next concern is how well gaming consoles and streaming services such as Netflix is going to work behind Luma, I can only hope Luma has tested this and it works much better then devices behind Sophos or I feel Luma will have many returns on there hands in this first 30-60 days. Gaming consoles and Streaming services must work without any trouble. 

Edited by itGeeks

Kevin I was only responding to your confusion about Y someone would need a GB switch, Your response got me worried as I did not think Luma would protect the wired clients. I am glad that is not the case, I believe your response comes from the side of a house holds that only has wireless devices these days but yes if you have wired clients then yes they need to purchase a GB switch if they don't already have one because Luma only has one LAN port. Thanks for clearing this up. My next concern is how well gaming consoles and streaming services such as Netflix is going to work behind Luma, I can only hope Luma has tested this and it works much better then devices behind Sophos or I feel Luma will have many returns on there hands in this first 30-60 days. Gaming consoles and Streaming services must work without any trouble.

As much as I have told myself not to expect to much at launch, I will be very disappointed if Luma has any issues with streaming services and gaming consoles. The target customers for Luma will expect, ease of use around streaming and consoles. Setup needs to be as automatic as possible.