RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma WiFi, Security and eero

schoondoggy

Thanks and good luck to the three of us!

My 'gut' tells me if the unit does not work out for you, someone would grab it for at least what you paid for it.

I did quite a bit of research and I see no link between Eero and Luma. Different leadership and funding. Their websites look similar and they both use ZenDesk for support tickets, I assume that confused the Reddit posters.

Your welcome Kevin. How long did it take for you to get a confirmation email on your purchase? I never got one but the charges have gone threw. I have now sent a ticket to them asking y I never got a confirmation email but have only got an automated email so far. This concerns me. Also they never asked for any shipping information at checkout so how do they know where to ship it?

The only negative articles I have read about Luma, have focused on 'spying on your family'. To me it is only spying if you don't tell them you are doing it. My daughter knows I check up on her web activity. 

Agreed and when they are your children under the age of 18 I don't believe this is a privacy issue ;) My kids and grand kids now when your a minor, big daddy is watching.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• schoondoggy

• awraynor

• JROrtiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some questions I have asked to Luma and their answers: Q: If I understand correctly, there are two Ethernet ports on each Luma device, Wan and Lan. My first Luma device will be connected to my cable

I don't want to spoil the interview, but here are some key takeaways that have been debated a lot in the forums:   Ethernet backhaul will be available Luma will not have to be the primary router (

Very nice interview.

schoondoggy

Your welcome Kevin. How long did it take for you to get a confirmation email on your purchase? I never got one but the charges have gone threw. I have now sent a ticket to them asking y I never got a confirmation email but have only got an automated email so far. This concerns me. Also they never asked for any shipping information at checkout so how do they know where to ship it?

Agreed and when they are your children under the age of 18 I don't believe this is a privacy issue ;) My kids and grand kids now when your a minor, big daddy is watching.

My confirmation email came later in the day, 6-9 hours later I think.

As for shipping, it seems to be common with these pre-buys, that they ask you for the address when it is ready to ship. One kick-starter explained to me that they see about 30% of their funders move in the time between ordering and shipping.

My confirmation email came later in the day, 6-9 hours later I think.

As for shipping, it seems to be common with these pre-buys, that they ask you for the address when it is ready to ship. One kick-starter explained to me that they see about 30% of their funders move in the time between ordering and shipping.

Thanks for the update Kevin, After I posted they sent me an email saying they resent my purchase confirmation but still have not received it yet. I am confident we will get this ironed out. 

• 2 weeks later...
schoondoggy

Couple of thoughts:

1. To be very clear Luma will not be perfect at launch, any new technology will thrill and disappoint. I like what I see from their support team and their leadership. They have already acquired another security company Nodal.

2. I may regret it, but I bought another 3 pack. Why? I may need a fourth Luma for a building away from my house. Also, this may be a good device for non-techie family members that depend on me for their tech support.

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts:

1. To be very clear Luma will not be perfect at launch, any new technology will thrill and disappoint. I like what I see from their support team and their leadership. They have already acquired another security company Nodal.

2. I may regret it, but I bought another 3 pack. Why? I may need a fourth Luma for a building away from my house. Also, this may be a good device for non-techie family members that depend on me for their tech support.

Kevin you are getting me very excited about this product and now I am thinking about using your referral link to order a 3 pack, What color did you order? I had ordered a single in white for my daughter but after talking with her she said the silver would look better in her living room so I changed it. I just checked you link and the pre-order pricing is still active but I know it wont be for long so if I am going to do this I need to do it now.

Edited by itGeeks
schoondoggy

Kevin you are getting me very excited about this product and now I am thinking about using your referral link to order a 3 pack, What color did you order? I had ordered a single in white for my daughter but after talking with her she said the silver would look better in her living room so I changed it. I just checked you link and the pre-order pricing is still active but I know it wont be for long so if I am going to do this I need to do it now.

All of mine are white. I think pre-order pricing will stay active until after CES.

All of mine are white. I think pre-order pricing will stay active until after CES.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Did you ever get your questions answered from Luma? I have about 25 questions into them since B4 Christmas and they now seem to be staling with answers. At first they where very responsive with things like can we do port forwarding but now I am asking things that I am not so sure they want to answer in fear I mite cancel my order.

Edited by itGeeks
schoondoggy

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Did you ever get your questions answered from Luma? I have about 25 questions into them since B4 Christmas and they now seem to be staling with answers. At first they where very responsive with things like can we do port forwarding but now I am asking things that I am not so sure they want to answer in fear I mite cancel my order.

I think they are busy with CES stuff. Also, many of the questions from this forum are probably not what they expect from their target customer. 

One of my questions was answered, with a push from me:

My question:

Is there a maximum number of Luma devices per installation? Three should cover my home, but can I run four or five if needed?

I also have seamless steel siding on my house so unfortunately WiFi does not get very far outside of my house. I have a garage that is less than 50 meters away from the house. I have a Cat6 Ethernet cable running from the house to the garage. Can I put a Luma device in the garage and connect it to the Luma units in my house via the Ethernet cable?

Luma answer:

There is no limit to the number of Lumas that can simultaneously be on a single home network! Running 4 or 5 Lumas will certainly not be an issue. You will likely not need to attach the garage Luma to ethernet, because there will be enough of a single for the garage Luma to rebroadcast!

My reply:

Thanks, but the garage is 50 meters away and both the house and garage have seamless steel siding which does a very good job of blocking WiFi signal. If the Luma in the garage will not make a wireless connection to the house, can I connect it via Ethernet cable?

Luma reply:

You can connect the single Luma in the garage to Ethernet, but it will form a secondary network. We are planning to add Ethernet backhaul functionality in our first software update, but it is not available in the initial release.

So as I said, Luma will not be perfect at launch.

I pre-ordered two three packs; one white, one orange. The second three pack is intended for my parent's place which will probably need more like four or five of them to really cover them.

I think they are busy with CES stuff. Also, many of the questions from this forum are probably not what they expect from their target customer. 

One of my questions was answered, with a push from me:

My question:

Is there a maximum number of Luma devices per installation? Three should cover my home, but can I run four or five if needed?

I also have seamless steel siding on my house so unfortunately WiFi does not get very far outside of my house. I have a garage that is less than 50 meters away from the house. I have a Cat6 Ethernet cable running from the house to the garage. Can I put a Luma device in the garage and connect it to the Luma units in my house via the Ethernet cable?

Luma answer:

There is no limit to the number of Lumas that can simultaneously be on a single home network! Running 4 or 5 Lumas will certainly not be an issue. You will likely not need to attach the garage Luma to ethernet, because there will be enough of a single for the garage Luma to rebroadcast!

My reply:

Thanks, but the garage is 50 meters away and both the house and garage have seamless steel siding which does a very good job of blocking WiFi signal. If the Luma in the garage will not make a wireless connection to the house, can I connect it via Ethernet cable?

Luma reply:

You can connect the single Luma in the garage to Ethernet, but it will form a secondary network. We are planning to add Ethernet backhaul functionality in our first software update, but it is not available in the initial release.

So as I said, Luma will not be perfect at launch.

Wow, no bridging via ethernet? That is both surprising and disappointing. Having the Lumas connected via ethernet should be the primary method of connection with wireless bridging being used only in instances when a wired connection is not available. The eero no only functions this way, but the second ethernet port can be used in both wireless, and wired bridge mode. Luma might end up being too simple for my liking. Going to keep the pre-order and test it out but so far, raw hardware is the only thing that is beating out eero and Open Mesh.