RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Luma WiFi, Security and eero

Dave

Looks like eero with Circle built in.  Video looks good.  Yet, that's what I thought about eero a year ago! 

schoondoggy

As much as I like playing with Sophos, ZyXel and Fortinet for UTM/FireWall and separate WiFi AP's. I am really trying to simplify my home network without giving up security. I am considering something like Luma for my home and running Sophos for my lab, keeping the two totally separate. I want all of my home systems easy to use, just in case I get hit by a beer truck! 

• Like 1

Dave

I'll still stay on the eero train.  If that derails in February I'll take a look at the landscape again. 

At that point it will probably be Open Mesh.

I will absolutely NOT....get into a pre-order of something I need. Eero ruined that for me.  Including Indie Go Go and Kickstarter.  I'm done with those two services as well.

itGeeks

As much as I like playing with Sophos, ZyXel and Fortinet for UTM/FireWall and separate WiFi AP's. I am really trying to simplify my home network without giving up security. I am considering something like Luma for my home and running Sophos for my lab, keeping the two totally separate. I want all of my home systems easy to use, just in case I get hit by a beer truck! 

Does Kevin need a hug :) lol, I feel your pain Kevin.

Happy Holidays!

itGeeks

I'll still stay on the eero train.  If that derails in February I'll take a look at the landscape again. 

At that point it will probably be Open Mesh.

I will absolutely NOT....get into a pre-order of something I need. Eero ruined that for me.  Including Indie Go Go and Kickstarter.  I'm done with those two services as well.

Dave I feel your pain, The waiting has to be a killer. At first I was disappointed that I missed the pre-order of Eero but now I am glad I missed it. Open Mesh will not disappoint you, The coverage/performance is awesome. I would start out with one MR1750 and see if you need to ad more. I feel based on the marketing of Eero that those devices are going to be low power and not give you the coverage that a single Open Mesh AP will. Eero has clearly stated DON'T try and get whole house coverage with a single device but rather get multiple Eero devices to blanket the aria for WiFi, Not saying this is a bad thing I just saying. I hope the wait is worth it & I wish you luck

pcdoc

I like this product, it look really cool and would fill the void between mobile devices and XG.  I agree with Dave and wait till it come out but I am glad companies are addressing this type of device.  After seeing everything that is being blocked at my house, everyone with kids needs good protection.  BTW, Amazon is showing March for the delivery of this device.

schoondoggy

I should wait, but I got some good industry feedback on Luma. I ordered the three pack. I plan to run our home on Luma and my lab on Sophos XG.

I will document it all here.

• Like 1

Poppapete

The video is great but experience tells us that the reality rarely matches the hype.