RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding 4 5TB HDDs to my ML10v2

Joe_Miner

Very good.

Re this:

Figure 16 – The PassMark scores for my build are at http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=52492748135what’s noteworthy IMO is the CPU Mark of 5,899, Memory Mark of 2,163, and the Disk Mark of 7,686. The low Graphic Mark’s were expected with the Matrox Chip and not really relevant IMO if this is being considered as a Home Server or NAS box.

I was running passmark on my system the other day, and got a CPU score of about 5900, I was a little disappointed that on the PassMark site it showed about 6600 for the E3-1220V3. Then I came across some posts about the HP (and Windows) power saving modes. By default the HP power mode (set in BIOS) is set to balanced, and also Windows. So I had a play with changing them and this is what I found (figures from memory) using PassMark:

HP Balanced - Windows balanced - CPU = about 5600 / Single thread = about 1000

HP Balanced - Windows High - CPU = about 7600 / Single thread = about 2000

HP High - Windows Balanced - CPU = about 7600 / Single thread = about 2000

HP High - Windows High - CPU = about 7600 / Single thread about 2000

So, quite a performance increase, though how that would affect power consumption I don't know, maybe one for you to check with your power meter.

Also, these tests were when the system was doing nothing else, so when in balanced mode it may be taking time to ramp the CPU up, and so the lower scores. When using it day to day with VM's running (as I plan too) then seeing that the CPU may be under constant load, running in Balanced mode may show better performance.

• Like 1

Very good.

Re this:

Figure 16 – The PassMark scores for my build are at http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=52492748135what’s noteworthy IMO is the CPU Mark of 5,899, Memory Mark of 2,163, and the Disk Mark of 7,686. The low Graphic Mark’s were expected with the Matrox Chip and not really relevant IMO if this is being considered as a Home Server or NAS box.

I was running passmark on my system the other day, and got a CPU score of about 5900, I was a little disappointed that on the PassMark site it showed about 6600 for the E3-1220V3. Then I came across some posts about the HP (and Windows) power saving modes. By default the HP power mode (set in BIOS) is set to balanced, and also Windows. So I had a play with changing them and this is what I found (figures from memory) using PassMark:

HP Balanced - Windows balanced - CPU = about 5600 / Single thread = about 1000

HP Balanced - Windows High - CPU = about 7600 / Single thread = about 2000

HP High - Windows Balanced - CPU = about 7600 / Single thread = about 2000

HP High - Windows High - CPU = about 7600 / Single thread about 2000

So, quite a performance increase, though how that would affect power consumption I don't know, maybe one for you to check with your power meter.

Also, these tests were when the system was doing nothing else, so when in balanced mode it may be taking time to ramp the CPU up, and so the lower scores. When using it day to day with VM's running (as I plan too) then seeing that the CPU may be under constant load, running in Balanced mode may show better performance.

This is great information! +1