RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

upgrading from HP Microserver to ML10 v2

Ulle64

Hi forum.

Im planning to upgrade my HP Microserver Gen8 to HP ML10 v2. My Gen 8 runs with 16 gb ram and Xeon 1265. Now my questions are:

1. Is it possible to have 8 X 3,5" mounted  plus 2 x 2,5" SSD? ( I have no need for ODD)

2. Can I use my RAM from microserver? then I only need further 16 GB of RAM.

3. Will Xeon 1265 v2 fit in ML 10v2?

It seems that the ML 10 is a cheap way to upgrade (in Denmark the basic version cost around 200 USD).

Anyone?

1.  Out of the box you can put six 3.5" drives in and you do have six SATA ports, 2 are SATA III and 4 are SATA II off of the B120i -- beyond 6 drives you will need a controller card.  with a controller card giving you additional ports putting 2 SSDs would be rather simple -- you could just velcro them to the frame somewhere but the two additional 3.5's that you want may require some creativity.  If you went with an Icy Dock 3-in-2 and it fit OK (haven't tried it yet) in the 2 5.25" bays that would get you up to 7 3.5" drives plus 2 SSDs velcro'd someplace -- the space is there for creativity but I'm not sure how easy/complicated the Mod would be -- I haven't looked that far ahead so I can't give a definitive assessment - sorry

2.  Good question -- I'm not sure - I hadn't given it much thought it that would be possible so I'm no help here

3.  No.  The E3-1265Lv2 (PassMark score 8142) is a LGA1155 while the ML10v2 takes LGA1150 socket CPUs.  I went with the Xeon E3-1220v3 with a PassMark score of 5899 for my ML10v2

Hi again. Thx for quick reply. It sseems that ive got somthing wrong. Thought that the microserver had socket 1150 - my mistake. I'll figure another solution.