RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

so how can I retroactively skip domain join? :)

nrf

so I have 3 workstations in my essentials setup, two of which used skip-domain-join during the connection.

but in the AD administration all 3 computers show up as domain computers.

I have repeatedly tried to get the one pc that was joined during connect to unjoin. yet after the required reboot it still thinks it is in the domain.

technically I guess that is correct. 

any suggestions?

From the essentials dashboard, remove the computer.

Uninstall the connector from the client.

Now reconnect using the wizzard. You will be given the choice to reconnect with the same name or a new name.

You will need to run "skipdomainjoin" again before reconnection.

From the essentials dashboard, remove the computer.

Uninstall the connector from the client.

Now reconnect using the wizzard. You will be given the choice to reconnect with the same name or a new name.

You will need to run "skipdomainjoin" again before reconnection.

Or try this...

On the client, go to the System Properties.  Click on "Change Settings' in the name/domain/workgroup section. Click on "Change". select "Workgroup" instead of domain, and put in "WORKGROUP", or put in the matching text to the domain name (Ideally).

This will leave the domain once you've rebooted the system. And it will keep the connector software installed.  no need to reinstall or re-run anything.

You may still see the system in the Active Directory Users and Computers section, but that's fine.  

Edited by HSS-Dave
Softened Language. Keeping in the holiday spirit. ;)
  • Like 1

Should I have done that prior to turning off the AD Server?  Ummmm, cause, I just turned it off!

If you logged in with the domain admin account, then no, won't matter.

But shouldn't matter either way. As long as you have a local admin account still.

guess you missed my point - 3 times have I done the change of computer properties and 3 times it has remained unchanged after the required reboot.

Yes, that is why I gave my solution. I assumed you had already tried the MS solution which has never worked for me. But I am old and stupid according to my wife and children who are all experts in IT.

yes, poppapete, it seems like my next attempt will be your suggested approach. I was trying to avoid that one.

my comment was regarding 'drashna's suggestion which is essentially the method I am complaining does not work..